Red stag taken

Liberty

About 5 years ago I started putting out traps and killing coyotes off on purpose around here. There are now a few turkey, and I see rabbits frequently. Nothing else changed besides purposeful elimination. I don’t have ecotheory, articles cited or a biology degree , but I do have much more small game that wasn’t here before. If we start hearing too many song dogs the night vision comes out. You can’t tell me what I see and know is wrong.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
About 5 years ago I started putting out traps and killing coyotes off on purpose around here. There are now a few turkey, and I see rabbits frequently. Nothing else changed besides purposeful elimination. I don’t have ecotheory, articles cited or a biology degree , but I do have much more small game that wasn’t here before. If we start hearing too many song dogs the night vision comes out. You can’t tell me what I see and know is wrong.

I`m not telling you anything. But you didn`t answer either of my questions.

Liberty

And that is a terrible idea.
Same for the pigs, iguanas, and any other invasive, destructive species. Right now, we have plenty to eat. When the next depression hits, we will be like the old timers and remove destructive species adhock. At least now it can be done in a responsible manner, not as farmers and ranchers sitting out antifreeze and rat poison.

furtaker

Same for the pigs, iguanas, and any other invasive, destructive species. Right now, we have plenty to eat. When the next depression hits, we will be like the old timers and remove destructive species adhock. At least now it can be done in a responsible manner, not as farmers and ranchers sitting out antifreeze and rat poison.
Predators including coyotes are necessary for a healthy ecosystem.

And chemicals don't pick what species they kill.

Liberty

Predators including coyotes are necessary for a healthy ecosystem.

And chemicals don't pick what species they kill.
Too many unchecked predators and invasive species will destroy an ecosystem. I didn’t say that it was ideal solution, but doing nothing when faced with a growing problem facilitates a greater correction being implemented eventually collectively or when people take matters into their own hands. When government quits protecting the public, the public will eventually protect themselves from whatever the threat whether it be looters or starvation. Predators are not purposely allowed to exist by people living off the land.

sb1010

So if a non-native deer escapes from a high fence place, It can be taken by any licensed hunter? You don't have to worry about the high fence place suing you?'

Gbr5pb

I think the small game problem including turkeys is correctly and easily blamed on the coyote’s return, along with loss of habitat including less overgrown areas between fields from more efficient farming. I remember many more quail and rabbits as a young man in the early 80’s. We need to go from an open season on coyotes to a true eradication program that includes chemical methods.
And back around 1980 or so when uncles bird hunted in Cherokee there wasn’t anywhere near the amount of coons and possums as they are now. If they had been my bluetick I had back then would have went nuts

furtaker

Too many unchecked predators and invasive species will destroy an ecosystem. I didn’t say that it was ideal solution, but doing nothing when faced with a growing problem facilitates a greater correction being implemented eventually collectively or when people take matters into their own hands. When government quits protecting the public, the public will eventually protect themselves from whatever the threat whether it be looters or starvation. Predators are not purposely allowed to exist by people living off the land.
Foot hold traps keep predators in check with very few problems.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
This is not surprising. There is still a high fence farm with red stag in that area. It is for sale now.

Last edited:

Liberty

I think a lot of this is dependent on where you live and the particular pressures. Sort of like why they don’t have an iguana/python problem in Kansas like exists in southern Florida, and why there aren’t Grizzly bear attacks in Alabama. You can’t compare suburban Anchorage to Miami or Kansas to Georgia. With that said, I can agree to disagree on the best solution, but one solution doesn’t work for every side of a problem.

175rltw

BANNED
There was a place in dawson county that had them and had some get loose when the fence had a tree come down on it.

I saw one hanging in the processor that used to be back up off camp wahsega rode and I think there was a bit of a kerfluffle over whether or not to allow it in the big buck contest at Tritts. This was like 2006 or maybe 2007

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Predators are not purposely allowed to exist by people living off the land.
The American Indians lived off the land here for thousands of years. They revered wolves and panthers and named their clans and sons after them. And did not try to kill them off. And the wolves, panthers, and other predators that were around then in large numbers didn't kill all the turkeys and small game. If you want to know what invasive species kills the game off, look in the mirror.

175rltw

BANNED
The American Indians lived off the land here for thousands of years. They revered wolves and panthers and named their clans and sons after them. And did not try to kill them off. And the wolves, panthers, and other predators that were around then in large numbers didn't kill all the turkeys and small game. If you want to know what invasive species kills the game off, look in the mirror.
Time only goes one direction. 2 years ago you could still run out of gas on i16 and now you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a truck stop

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
If coyotes are to blame, why haven't they wiped out the turkeys in Texas, Oklahoma,, Kansas, and all the other western states? And why haven't they done the same everywhere else since the last Ice Age?

Anybody want to tackle this question?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Guys, I don't mean to be a thread killer, but this conversation has went off the rails. This post is about a red stag. If you all want to talk turkeys there is a forum for that.
I got a thread mixed up.