Ordered my first boat!

RamblinWreck

Yeah I was thinking the 80 would do well holding the boat in the various rivers and places that pull water hard. It will be on a QR plate with a plug and socket so I can use it on a future platform for electric-only lakes. I'll get me a used jon and deck it, put the MK on there, go fishin'.

Reactions: Dub

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
You must be about ready to take delivery...
Mine landed at the dealer today. Ready for rigging...

image.jpg

hipster dufus

i bought a 1756 cc G3 this past january. 70 hp yamaha. thought i wanted a 60 hp. boat had a 70 hp on it. max motor was a 75 hp. the 75 are in the bigger 90 hp engine family.installed some carpet on decks w 2 sided tape and spray adhesive. cockpit floor is vinyl. have a noco 2 bank charger and 55# mk tm. tm is barely adequate. boat has a top speed of 33 mph w 2 guys. i believe ur 60 should be more then enough. i am really impressed w how little fuel i use. do run non ethanol if u can.i installed a bimini on mine, best add on ever. how do u feel about ur hook 2? im looking at a 7 in one with maps and DI.i installed a tiny tach from day 1. it keeps track of engine hrs. helps w my maintenance intervals, have had em on my last 3 engines. i fish oconee, jackson and lanier. hope to see un on lake. congrats.

RamblinWreck

I am pretty happy with the Hook2, but I'll never buy another Lowrance product until they get the bugs out of their SW and seriously improve their customer service. The 2D and DI work pretty well, the Navionics mapping support - not so much. I am using C-Map Genesis instead, even though my unit came with the Navionics+ card free for a year. Sonar Chart Live does not work properly on the Hook2 and they don't seem interested in fixing it. A bug in the GPS of the HDS gen 2 units has caused all users of that platform (not using a Point1) to lose time (and tides), and they first claimed it was the Air Force messing with the satellites, and one Navico tech rep claimed it was sunspots and since he was a HAM he understood this better than us customers. HA! As a HAM (AE) and a GT EE I quickly called him on his mess. No more Lowrance for me! I am looking at the Humminbird G3 unis and Garmin Live Scope, but I ain't buying anything new right now. I'll make do with the $299 Hook2 until I find something that is worth the high price they put on this stuff.

RamblinWreck

Got the call - my boat will be at the dealer Tuesday. Can't wait.

RamblinWreck

Just a quick pic.
awboat1.jpg
Got her home safe in that horrid I-16/I-75/GA400 holiday traffic yesterday. I'll take more pics when I get her on the water, and weather is better.

I have an MK Terrova I-Pilot and 2 group 31 AGMs to install, some wiring & mounting to do for my chartplotter, and many other tasks. Then its off to Lanier for the break-in. Hopefully Monday.

Already got a tag for my trailer and the boat registered on line. I've been busy.

ccbiggz

Dublin Marine, ask for David. A buddy's 1648 is pretty stable so the 56" should be even more stable. I'm used to a kayak so what do I know?

I've dealt with David at Dublin Marine for several years. You can't beat their service and all of the folks that work there are nice. You will be glad you bought from them.

RamblinWreck

Got the Trolling Motor mounted, using a quick release bracket. Still need to run power and install MK I-Pilot compass puck.
awboat2.jpg

RamblinWreck

Trolling motor is all systems go. Installed 2 group 31's in the forward storage locker for better weight distribution and ride. Now it rains for 5 days straight. (n)

Have Gore-tex and bilge pump, and got gas - going out soon anyway. (y)

Will be breaking in the motor, and testing out the Minn Kota Terrova i-Pilot system.

For sonar, I'm using my Hook2 fish finder/chartplotter from my kayak for now. I'll connect it to the Minn Kota US2 transducer in the trolling motor (via a couple expensive adapter cables). That will give me sonar and maps (C-Map and Navionics) for now.

I'm still looking at a new sonar setup for this boat, but I'm not ready to buy until I see Garmin Live Scope vs Lowrance Live Sight, and decide which I like better, or if Humminbird is going to come out with a "Live-something". The Lowrance would have to be really fantastic for me to consider them, because I'm pretty leery of Lowrance right now.

RamblinWreck

Went to lake a few hours ("a three hour cruise"), I should mention I'm a ramp virgin. Went to Mary Alice park ramp - the closest to me. Couple other boats were launching, and I knew I would be OK when the first guy on the ramp lost his rope and had to wade out up to his chest to grab the rope! He mentioned the water was very cold. I yelled "Hey! No swimming at the ramp!". :LOL:

Next was Jason in a Bass Tracker and he launched smooth and gave me a few pointers. My only issue was I had tied the painter to the trailer, and it was in a foot of water after the boat came off, so I took off my shoes and used the rope to pull the boat to the dock and tie up. Note to self: get a longer rope.

I cruised the lake doing the the motor break in per the Yamaha booklet. The lake was full of detritus and there were some big ol' logs floating around. After the first hour, I found a peaceful cove to calibrate the I-Pilot compass and test out the Terrova. Wow. so easy to use with the remote! There was a bit of breeze, and I tested out the spot lock, autopilot, and cruise control after setting the depth and doing the setup. For grins I trolled a couple crappie jigs around the cove, but no takers.

Went back to the ramp, and tied up at the dock. I watched a couple other guys load their boats (i.e. waited so there was no one waiting on me), then managed to load the boat like a pro without getting my feet wet. I did have a printed checklist.

I used the Hook2-5 splitshot from my kayak, but only the Navionics map. I did get the adapter cables needed to connect it to the Terrova built-in US2 transducer, so next time I'll get the sonar working and finish the motor break-in.

All systems are GO. Time to do some serious fishing.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
PS- a bow line should never be long enough to where it can reach the propeller if it falls off the boat and whines up underneath...?

RamblinWreck

I think you mean "winds up". That's what the prop will do with it, then I do the "whining". ;)

hipster dufus

im gonna share a tip. go to walmart and pick up some high rubber boots. i use them in the cooler months to load and unload. also come in handy with all this rain

RamblinWreck

I have some in the basement somewhere - thanks for reminding me.

BassRaider

Ultra-Tow Universal Aluminum Trailer Step, Model# FTF-01ATS (Northern Tool)

I added 2 of these on my trailer to ease getting onto boat when alone.

Attachments

• 365411_2000x2000.jpg
    365411_2000x2000.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1

RamblinWreck

That looks very useful, thanks. So when the boat floats, you climb on, unhook, and shove off? Not completely clear on the safest sequence.

I also got some non-skid tape to put on the top of the trailer tongue.