2020-21 Little Creek Deer **Updated Post 83**

davidhelmly

Here are some pictures from the plots over the last 5-6 weeks, you can tell as the weeks progress the grass in the plots also progress. The feeders have been filled now some I should start getting some better pictures in a couple of weeks and will keep the thread updated thru the summer.

The pictures with the feeders in the foreground sort of shocked me because I put out minerals and cameras at each feeder site thinking I would get the feeders filled for the first time the next day, it wound up being 5 days before I got back and filled the feeders, the number of deer using that grass filled plot over the previous 5 days was more than I had expected. I know a lot of us plotters spend a lot of time and money spraying and mowing trying to have those magazine cover plots but the deer really do not care what the plots look like.

A lot of our plots were monocultures of clover for years and we have quite an excess of nitrogen built up in the soil which causes the grasses to explode once it gets warm, I have since sprayed the grass in all of our plots but I have started planting nitrogen loving plants (wheat, brassicas, chicory) into the clover in the fall to hopefully use up that excess of nitrogen and to hopefully get away from having to spend a couple of days spraying grass every year.

I__00028.JPGI__00035.JPGI__00043.JPGI__00002.JPGI__00003.JPGI__00033.JPGI__00008 (2).JPGI__00009 (2).JPGI__00048.JPGI__00041.JPG

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Been waiting for your yearly thread ! Beautiful plots and healthy deer . And I just got done spraying all of my plots , with all the rain we’ve had the unwanted grasses and weeds are bad this year , have been mowing some of my clover and the deer are working on it , looking forward to watching your fine herd grow this summer !

davidhelmly

Thanks ant, I love watching them grow every year and hope we have a few nice bucks like last year!

alwayslookin

Ridiculous amount of deer on your place and awesome pics.

I was lookin close at how you built your feeders, have one trough that I inherited at one of my spots and gonna build another one here in the coming weeks. I reckon you've built a few of them over the years.

The trough I inherited has been there a while. Does go right to it but the bucks seem a little weary of it. You don't seem to have that issue.

Jim Boyd

I’m telling you boys, David has those deer trained!

Amazing herd and awesome pics as always David!!!!!

davidhelmly

Looks great David ! I love looking at the pictures. It will be fun to see the progress the bucks make growing.
Great pics as usual my friend!
I’m telling you boys, David has those deer trained!

Amazing herd and awesome pics as always David!!!!!
Great pics David and amazing setup!
Ridiculous amount of deer on your place and awesome pics.

I was lookin close at how you built your feeders, have one trough that I inherited at one of my spots and gonna build another one here in the coming weeks. I reckon you've built a few of them over the years.

The trough I inherited has been there a while. Does go right to it but the bucks seem a little weary of it. You don't seem to have that issue.
Thanks for the kind words guys, I do love watching these guys grow. I should have some better pics within a week or two.

alwayslookin, that’s odd that your does will use the feeder but not the bucks. Once we fill ours probably 80% of pictures of the deer on the feeder are bucks, the does only sneak in when there are no bucks around.

I wish our feeders were bigger but we are still using the original feeders that we built back in 07’ when we got the property.