Wilkes County Reports

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Yep slow weekend for us too.
Most activity we did see was right as walking to mornin hunts or right when time to leave afternoon hunts.

highbeam

Very slow weekend in Danburg. All seen were does with no buck activity. It was slow enough that it gave me the opportunity to fertilize my food plots before I went home. Try again next weekend.

Doc_Holliday23

saw 3 deer friday morning, one buck responded to my grunt call, and that was it. warm afternoons were miserable. BIL killed one of the does I saw friday... nice 110 pounder. I did see one nice buck running across prater road at 3 in the afternoon on our way to the stands saturday. had plenty of daylight pics of bucks from the 2 weeks before that.

Hunt365

Young bucks were running crazy yesterday and this morning. About half were without a girlfriend. Near Crawfordville off 44

deermaster13

Last couple days the bigger ones showed back up on camera. Even seen a good one OTW to work chasing Monday morning. If any of you hunt Tignall, Sandtown, Danburg area and know of a grey Toyota truck and the owner killed a good one last Friday in the area please send me a P.M. That truck was seen coming off my land with a good one in it last Friday. I'm working on getting more details. Thanks

highbeam

I am heading back down to Danburg this afternoon for three days starting in the morning. Wasn't able to hunt any last weekend. A friend sent me a video yesterday of a good eight pt. feeding in a food plot on his land and a large eight pt. was killed on the same property on Tuesday of this week. His property is just down the road heading toward Sandtown. Looks like the bucks are moving and feeding again in the area.

cr00241

I hunted the other night and 6 does in the field and no bucks. My buddy did see some chasing Monday evening when he hunted. I am going to go tonight and see what happens.

cr00241

Hunted last night. Two mature does came and one kept looking back into the thicket. A young 8pt finally came out. He pushed them right along.

deermaster13

Nothing killed this weekend. Didn't hear half dozen rifle shots all weekend..hardly any shotguns either which I thought q odd. Nothing cruising thru camera checking out does but that's going to change this weekend I bet.

highbeam

It was a beautiful but slow weekend in Danburg. Same here, very few shots and not much deer movement. Did see a few does and a decent buck, from a distance, moving through some big woods. Did try to call but he wasn't interested and kept right on moving along. I will be back on Thursday or Friday and looks like rain could be in the forecast.

BowSniper

The farm I hunt is a couple miles on the Washington side of Tignall. My cameras showed the most rutting activity was October 26 - November 3. That would put this week as the second best for rutting activity, assuming my cameras weren't lying to me. We will see. On October 28, my big boy crossed in front of one of my cameras twice in the daylight. Once in the morning just after daylight and once at 5pm that afternoon. Also one more time in the dark at 7:45. But i wasn't there to enjoy his visit.

BowSniper

sea trout

Got a nice 8 with my ten yr old Daughter Sunday mornin. Was special gettin it with her.
Our trail cams show the big monter bucks were out the 17th 18th 19th.
Hope we can catch one of the big ones first couple weeks of Dec. Last year we had 2nd rut activity on cameras Dec 12th and days leadin up to it.
Good luck y'all

deermaster13

Seen a good one running a row last Saturday but couldn't get a shot. Raining pretty good now but supposed to be clear for in the morning. They've finally started hammering food plots. We've really bad a good acorn crop this year.

sea trout

Spent this weekend at Wilkes co club. BEEN AWAY FOR 2 WEEKS AND WOW OUR FOOD PLOTS HAVE GOT EATEN DOWN QUICK!
My kids n I saw small bucks and does but no bigguns or rut activity. My brother saw a biggun chasin a spike but my bro couldn't get a shot.

deermaster13

They've been hitting food plots like crazy here recently. In one of them if I didn't have a camera on it you'd think it was hogs doing it. No big ones visiting that seem interested in does and they are feeding in the plot at night.

Marsupial

Banned
Agree with others that foodplots are the ticket right now. In one plot where I have an exclusion cage, the grass/clover is 12” tall and outside cage the whole plot is mowed to ground.
My cameras showed a big slack in activity late November but has been increasing December with more and more daylight buck activity. me and son hunted couple evenings ago on a corn feeder and had two spikes and six does around it at once. He was holding out for something bigger but enjoyed the show. Saw one spike chase does, grunting all evening. And the does fought eachother a lot by standing up and kicking. It was as very cool to see all the action.

deermaster13

Hello.all Wilkes county hunters. We've got rain on a regular basis this month. I'm gonna start planting after probably last week end of September. I've not pulled any cameras get. I have noticed not as many white oaks around my property. Been seeing a few decent bucks on my way to work and have seen some others with some really nice deer on cameras. I know I'm ready for.some cool.weather and stand time.

cr00241

I am seeing the same with my oaks. I had some decent bucks come through earlier in the year but now all I have on camera is does and fawns. Did some bushhogging and need to spray and get ready for planting.

deermaster13

Yeah I sprayed last week. Gonna plant around the 25th. Gonna try and go check on a few more spots that have some big white oaks.