“Drop tine nine”

buckpasser

This weekend was almost too good to be true. I got off work and took my eight year old son to my father in laws farm for some time together. We knew we’d at least have fun together and make some memories. After arriving at the cabin late Thursday evening, my son, my FIL and I watched around a dozen deer hit the field from the windows of the cabin. One super nice buck even briefly cruised through the yard pushing a doe. It was great to see my son getting fired up seeing more bucks in one evening than we typically see in a season at our normal places.

8C40138F-6202-480C-AB90-D95E5CEAEB17.jpeg

Friday morning I struck out early with my climber to hike over to a travel corridor I like in some timber on the east edge of the place. My son stayed back to hunt the field with my father in law. Just after daylight I heard a boom. Then another, then another. I nervously texted my FIL to see what was going on. He informed me it was my son shooting! I immediately called him and he whispered “he just hit a buck, and if we find him he’s gonna have a fine one!” “If we find him” didn’t sound great to me and after hearing the details it was pretty clear that little man had probably hit him a little back, shooting again to hopefully clean him up before he got out of sight and into the woods.

As bad as it hurt me and my son to wait, we did. After three and a half hours I decided to search for the sign at the location of the hit. After trailing some light blood spots with our friend Wes who had come over to visit, the sign picked up enough to give us courage to venture a little further. After about eighty yards I noticed an unnatural patch of white in a thick spot. As we quietly stalked up, it became apparent the buck had expired. I was shocked at what little man had done!

0ED03528-B73D-4417-B238-62905F921F2B.jpeg

I just hope this doesn’t ruin him as his second deer taken! He was pumped, and of course I feel like he deserves a shoulder mount for this one. As it turned out, the hit wasn’t too bad afterall and the deer had apparently been dead for quite a while. We have had nothing but fun telling and retelling the story to Momma, Grandaddy and everyone who will listen. I couldn’t be more proud of my kids doing such a great job this season with two great bucks and even better memories now in the book!

Proud Dad
C29A2412-6135-49D4-8356-E5D94B06FABD.jpeg

Wes, FIL and my son
DAB8B290-EE36-4222-8DAB-904A0C6C3F45.jpeg

We thanked God for the blessing of this deer and the meals we’ll be able enjoy together from him. I don’t know what life would be like without my Dad getting me into hunting, but I hope my kids get the pleasure of passing it on too someday.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Man what a beautiful Buck!
Congratulations to you all!
I miss the days when my son was little & we sat together. We still hunt together, but he's all grown up now & we sit different stands.

Blackston

What a DREAM season y’all are having !!! Awesome story and pics !!!

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
First, your hunting area is beautiful and I love all of the photos.

This is just awesome in every aspect as the story leading up to the hunt, the actual hunt and of course such wonderful results. Congratulations to ALL three of you and especially to your Son on a job well done !!! God definitely smiled on your family this weekend. :cheers:

Meriwether Mike

Welcome to the fraternity of hunters young man! Nice buck.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Excellent!!!
Congrats on a great buck

cramer

Man what a beautiful Buck!
Congratulations to you all!
I miss the days when my son was little & we sat together. We still hunt together, but he's all grown up now & we sit different stands.

There's nothing like the adrenaline bouncing off a young one with a deer in site and a bow or gun in hand.

DSGB

Congrats to your son on a great buck!