“Drop tine nine”

Philnlucky

That's what I'm talking about! What a great buck for the young hunter! Congrats to him, and to Dad and FIL!

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Great story. Thanks for sharing. Family and hunting is the best. Congratulations.

slow motion

Congratulations to the young man, his grandfather and you sir.

rugerfan

Congrats to your son! Sounds like a goof family time!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Man what a beautiful buck ! Congrats to all involved ! And yes I’d say he deserves a mount

Jim Boyd

Overall - an A+ rating!!!!

buckpasser

Little man got to get the full experience with this buck. We knocked the dust off the grinder and knives and turned the drop tine 9 into grilling steaks, roasts, hamburger, and fresh sausage. After that we vacuum sealed it all and even enjoyed some pan fried sausage sandwiches tonight. I’m not a huge fan of processing my own meat these days, but I feel like the kids need to at least know how. To my surprise, my son really liked it and took extra pride in his sandwich earlier. Maybe he’ll be a self processor! Haha

C1CD7BF8-3786-4209-B778-9A2E2B5FC579.jpeg96286C0A-2C4E-43EA-87ED-C6F15550B4A1.jpeg

JM Country

This weekend was almost too good to be true. I got off work and took my eight year old son to my father in laws farm for some time together. We knew we’d at least have fun together and make some memories. After arriving at the cabin late Thursday evening, my son, my FIL and I watched around a dozen deer hit the field from the windows of the cabin. One super nice buck even briefly cruised through the yard pushing a doe. It was great to see my son getting fired up seeing more bucks in one evening than we typically see in a season at our normal places.

View attachment 1118244

Friday morning I struck out early with my climber to hike over to a travel corridor I like in some timber on the east edge of the place. My son stayed back to hunt the field with my father in law. Just after daylight I heard a boom. Then another, then another. I nervously texted my FIL to see what was going on. He informed me it was my son shooting! I immediately called him and he whispered “he just hit a buck, and if we find him he’s gonna have a fine one!” “If we find him” didn’t sound great to me and after hearing the details it was pretty clear that little man had probably hit him a little back, shooting again to hopefully clean him up before he got out of sight and into the woods.

As bad as it hurt me and my son to wait, we did. After three and a half hours I decided to search for the sign at the location of the hit. After trailing some light blood spots with our friend Wes who had come over to visit, the sign picked up enough to give us courage to venture a little further. After about eighty yards I noticed an unnatural patch of white in a thick spot. As we quietly stalked up, it became apparent the buck had expired. I was shocked at what little man had done!

View attachment 1118249

I just hope this doesn’t ruin him as his second deer taken! He was pumped, and of course I feel like he deserves a shoulder mount for this one. As it turned out, the hit wasn’t too bad afterall and the deer had apparently been dead for quite a while. We have had nothing but fun telling and retelling the story to Momma, Grandaddy and everyone who will listen. I couldn’t be more proud of my kids doing such a great job this season with two great bucks and even better memories now in the book!

Proud Dad
View attachment 1118250

Wes, FIL and my son
View attachment 1118251

We thanked God for the blessing of this deer and the meals we’ll be able enjoy together from him. I don’t know what life would be like without my Dad getting me into hunting, but I hope my kids get the pleasure of passing it on too someday.
Congratulations on a fine buck! Good deal and great memories!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
You’re doing a great job buckpasser! But maybe your dad or his dad, should get some credit too. Passing down the whole package from beginning to plate is special and it’s fun for me to watch! Thanks for sharing!

Woohoo to the young man on an Awesome deer! Way to go kid!

nick_o_demus

That's the good stuff right there! Congrats on a fine deer little brother!

Back40hunter

That’s just awesome on every level! Little man looks so pumped and rightfully so! Congratulations to all. And I hope this experience just gives him more enthusiasm for hunting and doesn’t just make it seem too easy. Something tells me that he will just get more excited about hunting.