$100 Deer Cooler

ssramage

Finally got around to a project that's been on the list since the end of last season. Scored a $40 freezer on Facebook last winter with plans to build a deer cooler out of it. It looks rough on the outside, but works fine. Another $30 at Lowes for PVC and wire shelving, some scrapped fridge shelves and drawers from a non-working fridge, and a $35 temp controller and I think I'm in business. Should be good to hold 2 or so deer at a time.

I'll save the cost in ice alone this year.

IMG_0764.jpgIMG_0765.jpg

CurLee

Need more details. What's this temp controller and what kind of temps do you expect to maintain? Can temp be controlled or monitored without opening the door?

buckpasser

Will you just lay one in there minus the head/feet and field dressed, or quartered with no hide?

buckmanmike

So the whole reasoning is to age the deer for processing? Add electricity into your cost. I only shoot 1-2 deer a year, so 100 qt cooler and home freezer ice works for me. If you harvest more, I definitely see rewards for your efforts.

ssramage

So the whole reasoning is to age the deer for processing? Add electricity into your cost. I only shoot 1-2 deer a year, so 100 qt cooler and home freezer ice works for me. If you harvest more, I definitely see rewards for your efforts.

Yes. I typically shoot 5-6.

This small freezer is not pulling enough electricity at my house to make a noticeable difference.

Hillbilly stalker

Your lucky you found and bought a freezer then. The same idiots that bought all the toilet paper have bought all the deep freezers. You cannot even order them from Lowe’s or Home Depot...no used ones on Craigslist or Facebook hardly.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
That’s awesome!