101 uses for Venison

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I've had it prepared a bunch of ways, but I'm always looking for new uses for the deer we put up each fall. I've canned a lot of it, but never tried canning stew.

20231204_200555.jpg

Had some left over, but not enough for another canning run, so I made crock pot venison stew. Leftovers today was one of the best stews I've ever had.

20231205_192837.jpg

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Pressure canning some venison now, never did stew. I always cold pack venison, bear and trout.

Looks good, know some that hot pack chili, stew, ground (they fry it first). Got a pic after it's canned? Canned meat is not that appealing to the eye, but definitely to the taste buds.

Definitely saves freezer space.

Last edited:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Pressure canning some venison now, never did stew. I always cold pack venison, bear and trout.

Looks good, know some that hot pack chili, stew, ground (they fry it first). Got a pic after it's canned? Canned meat is not that appealing to the eye, but definitely to the taste buds.

Definitely saves freezer space.
I don't add water to my venison or bear when I can it. I put chunked meat and salt and then pressure can it for 90 minutes.

Because I never add water, I forgot to add water to this stew. So it's less stew-like and more like it's come straight out of the crock pot. Its still in its own juices, just not soupy.

20231206_190305.jpg

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I don't add water to my venison or bear when I can it. I put chunked meat and salt and then pressure can it for 90 minutes.

Because I never add water, I forgot to add water to this stew. So it's less stew-like and more like it's come straight out of the crock pot. Its still in its own juices, just not soupy.

View attachment 1274550
I hear you.

Always done the cold pack with meat, no water or liquid.

Hot pack, just cook your stew or soup, put it in the jar and can, definitely need to try it.

Second batch going in

20231206_181042.jpg