18 degrees, windy and spitting snow called for soup

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
This time of year I have to cut back on the grub so I dont have to buy more clothes. This is a low carb chicken pot pie soup. 1st time making it and it turned out about perfect! Almost a chowder like consistency and definitely stuck to the ribs.

Put chicken breasts in bottom of crock pot. Poured in peas, carrots, mushrooms, celery, broth and spices. Omitted the turnips cause I couldnt find any and added extra celery. I cut down just a bit on the peas and carrots since they are about the only carbs in it. I also added Cayenne pepper to my spice mix. Cooked it on high for 3.5 hours and pulled the chicken out, shredded it and put it back in. Added the heavy cream and cheese and left on high for another hour until the cheese was melted. Added the xanthan gum at the end to thicken it up a bit.

Made enough for 6 bowls about this size. Found the recipe online so here's the copy/paste.

• 1 ½ lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
  • 1 ½ cups Turnips peeled and diced into ½" pieces (about ½ lb)
  • 1 cup Baby Bella Mushrooms chopped
  • 1 Rib of Celery chopped
  • ⅔ cup Frozen Peas and Carrots
  • 4 cups Chicken Broth
  • 1½ tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1½ tsp Onion Powder
  • 2 tsp Parsley dried
  • ½ tsp Thyme ground
  • ½ tsp Pepper or to taste
  • 1 tsp Poultry Seasoning
  • 2 tsp Salt or to taste
  • ½ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
  • 4 oz Cream Cheese
  • ½-1 tsp Xanthan Gum optional

973a7091-3036-485e-827d-e2deaa7bc5b6.jpg

the Lackster

This time of year I have to cut back on the grub so I dont have to buy more clothes. This is a low carb chicken pot pie soup. 1st time making it and it turned out about perfect! Almost a chowder like consistency and definitely stuck to the ribs.

Put chicken breasts in bottom of crock pot. Poured in peas, carrots, mushrooms, celery, broth and spices. Omitted the turnips cause I couldnt find any and added extra celery. I cut down just a bit on the peas and carrots since they are about the only carbs in it. I also added Cayenne pepper to my spice mix. Cooked it on high for 3.5 hours and pulled the chicken out, shredded it and put it back in. Added the heavy cream and cheese and left on high for another hour until the cheese was melted. Added the xanthan gum at the end to thicken it up a bit.

Made enough for 6 bowls about this size. Found the recipe online so here's the copy/paste.

• 1 ½ lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
  • 1 ½ cups Turnips peeled and diced into ½" pieces (about ½ lb)
  • 1 cup Baby Bella Mushrooms chopped
  • 1 Rib of Celery chopped
  • ⅔ cup Frozen Peas and Carrots
  • 4 cups Chicken Broth
  • 1½ tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1½ tsp Onion Powder
  • 2 tsp Parsley dried
  • ½ tsp Thyme ground
  • ½ tsp Pepper or to taste
  • 1 tsp Poultry Seasoning
  • 2 tsp Salt or to taste
  • ½ cup Heavy Whipping Cream