1st year without a place to hunt. What would you do?

kingfish

I get it. No more food plots/feeders, tower stands etc etc. Best club I was ever in was sold after being in it for 12 years (Florida). Picked the 3 closest WMA's to my house and set forth. Took 2 full seasons to finally get tuned in and start killing bucks and I still get skunked some years. Some of the most gratifying and rewarding time I've ever spent in the woods and still getting after it. That was 30 years ago. Look at it this way, if you make the transition to public land, you will NEVER have to worry about not having a place to hunt. Besides, you don't want me on the golf course :LOL:

rugerfan

I play army golf....... left.....left.....left...... right......left.....right...right that is with my irons, I have a wicked wicked banana slice with my driver.

Blackston

Got a buddy that’s in same boat ….. he killed her on public on the ground with a compound bow today …… in 3 hunts he’s seen 14 deer ….. and no people ( other being checked by DNR )

Attachments

• 7F808A86-823D-49E3-BF21-BE11885A05EE.jpeg
    7F808A86-823D-49E3-BF21-BE11885A05EE.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 6

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
We got the bad news in March. Right before turkey season.
It’s hard to find the right place to hunt these days. Our own looking for members had a few openings. Filled quick.
Now the looking for club or lease is full of folks looking for a place to hunt

Hunting public land is a heck of a challenge. It's also very rewarding too. My advice would be to hunt public land and save until you can buy a small tract of land of your own to hunt. There is nothing like shooting a buck on your own piece of ground. Regardless I hope you find a place to hunt this year and I wish you the best of luck!

crackerdave

Wouldn’t let that hinder me at all. As others said I would find me a piece of public land scout hunt and enjoy it. May not be as easy as a lease or club but beats sitting on the couch. You can keep looking for a lease or club while you’re enjoying the great outdoors on some public land.
You can run across camps on public land that would welcome another "member." Still have the deer-camp scene without the outrageous membership prices that leases hafta charge.
I think all the WMA's have designated campgrounds.

sprewett

The outdoor Georgia app has a map of all public land in state. Get the regs and look at different WMAs and dates that stuff is going on. There is sooo much land to hunt in Georgia. It is a bit more challenging than a lease as many have said but man the benefit greatly outweighs the cons.
Personally, I hunt a WMA that has a terrible reputation for being highly over hunted but I have never seen another hunter and I have seen tons of deer. I do have private land I hunt as well but I enjoy the public more. Also if you have a lake near you next year get the corp permit if you are a bow hunter. Don't be discouraged get out and get after it. And oh yeah sell them clubs and get ya a nice rifle or something useful. Haha

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
It’s all in your perception. I’m spoiled with family land in Kentucky. The family time together is unmatched, it is deer camp at its best, minus taking a dump in the woods each AM. NO deer camp is complete without that ritual. The chance of killing a deer is so likely, it’s almost a given. A mature stud of a buck walking into your life is a great possibility.
BUT, there is truly something special about getting one on public land. I’m still trying for my first, but have had MANY opportunities presented, just not closed the deal yet. I do have a knack for messing up, but I’m just having fun anyway. WHY do you hunt?

crackerdave

I'm also blessed with land to hunt and fish in my pond.
For a while,Cindy Lou and I talked about moving to a smaller house,but we are too old and have accumulated so much "stuff" that we talked ourselves out of that.
This is where I'll stay,until God decides it's time to go.I have truly had a good life,and am not afraid to die....but I'm in no hurry. I have grandkids to teach.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Another option that requires a bit of financial discipline and sheer will to achieve the final goal is buying your own land.

No better feeling in the world than owning a nice piece of dirt to hunt on. My 1st place was 10 acres of woods in Taylor County, owned it for 13 years, killed a few deer every season.

This year I bought 33 acres in Alabama, mostly mature hardwoods and a several creeks. I can't wait for Nov. 18th to get here.

Latest posts