2020 Oglethorpe County

transfixer

With one week left in the deer season, OC is reporting 2515 deer harvested this season, about 250 less than last year. Personally, I heard more shooting this year, especially in the SC and Glades, so must have been alot of missing ;) I think we are about the same on my clubs as far as deer harvests.

I haven't looked at the numbers in the last few weeks, I was hoping the numbers would be down more than that, but it is what it is, I'll be back in OC this friday and hunt till the last day. No one has hunted our lease since the 12th of Dec, I'm hoping the deer have relaxed a bit and will show themselves in the daylight . We'll see,,,

I'm going to seriously search for an additional place to hunt this next season, somewhere I can put some meat in the freezer without hurting the population, there's just not enough in our area of the county to do that.

Triple C

Went down Friday during the rain and hunted in an enclosed blind overlooking several acres of rye and brassica. The rain stopped about 4:30 and around 5:00 deer started filtering in to the field. Had 2 doe groups come in from different sides along with a single spike. Ended up with a total of 12 deer before dark and all got a pass.

Had a guest down with a 10 yr old son still looking to connect on his 1st deer. They didn't arrive until after 9:00 so first hunt for them was the a.m. Not a single deer seen from stand during the morning hunt. Late season, it's mostly afternoon sightings on or around plots. Saturday afternoon guest and his son sat the enclosed blind and as expected, deer came in before dark. The kid got to squeeze the trigger on his 1st deer but missed.

So far, we've killed 2 doe and 2 bucks off the farm which is about par for the course for us. Feel fortunate that we seem to have a decent population of deer on the place. Most afternoon sits will produce sightings of deer in or around the plots.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

The wind was still howling yesterday morning so I decided to sit it out and go in the evening. Went back down to my buddy's place that wants some does thinned. Mission accomplished! We ended up with 6 by dark between 4 of us. I killed my final deer of the season. It was a beautiful afternoon!

Todd E

The Mrs asked me to cook them up so we could enjoy them. I'm so glad that I am married to a woman who enjoys the finer table fare in life. So, last night the dove were submerged in a brine of salt, pepper, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, and water.

#doveitswhatsforsupperFB_IMG_1578400438213.jpg

Todd E

Here's yall another one you should try. It's called sausage bread. I use my bulk wild hawg jalapeno cheese sausage in it. But, you can use store bought. Crumble and brown. Pop a can of store bought pizza dough. Unroll on a greased cookie pan. Spread browned sausage. Add grated cheese, sauteed onions, peppers, shrooms...if you desire. Roll up in a spiral. Pinch ends. Brush top with beaten egg. Bake in oven for about 20 mins. Slice.

I'm here to tell you.....its off the chain. Put those wild hogs to good use. FB_IMG_1578409828849.jpg

Arrow3

I was one of the first to PM him about the land. I'm not sure he'll lease it to me though. He mainly wants non locals on his leases. I went ahead and filled out the lease application though.

Buford_Dawg

Brandon, You could step out your backdoor and hunt it, LOL.... I inquired as well, along with about 20 others. Funny how a OC lease opportunity arises and 100 people are on it in a matter of hours. Leases in other parts of the state hardly get a response. OC is very popular. I have hunted all that area back in time, like 30 years ago. Heavy deer population back then, but given it is so close to the club I just left on Loyd Smith, I am thinking deer herd levels may be weak right now.

lungbuster123

If someone secures that lease by Sandy Cross and needs members let me know. I'm a deputy with Hall County and looking for something close for me and my 12 year old to hunt

fredw

Retired Moderator
The son and I made a late afternoon trip to the lease yesterday. He sat on a food plot while I pulled SD cards to see what's been happening. We had five trail cams out and had dead batteries in three of them.

Plots are in good shape but heavily browsed. Lots of standing water in low areas. Found a good pig crossing that is in need of some corn.....

transfixer

Brandon, You could step out your backdoor and hunt it, LOL.... I inquired as well, along with about 20 others. Funny how a OC lease opportunity arises and 100 people are on it in a matter of hours. Leases in other parts of the state hardly get a response. OC is very popular. I have hunted all that area back in time, like 30 years ago. Heavy deer population back then, but given it is so close to the club I just left on Loyd Smith, I am thinking deer herd levels may be weak right now.

I run into people all the time that hunt south ga counties and when I tell them where I hunt, they go , " yeah I've heard about Oglethorpe co " , we have to be one of the hardest hunted counties around, thats why I wish DNR would cut way back on those 70 some odd either sex days we have,,,

transfixer

I was one of the first to PM him about the land. I'm not sure he'll lease it to me though. He mainly wants non locals on his leases. I went ahead and filled out the lease application though.

I looked over the website for that lease, some pretty strict rules , family evidently has to be counted as a member , and don't want people hunting it on a regular basis, as in weekly, I can see it working for those that don't camp and hunt, those that drive to the lease, hunt and go home, and whose work schedule limits their hunting time, but for those of us who enjoy being in the woods, and the whole experience I don't see their setup working for us. At least half the reason I enjoy deer season is the camaraderie of hanging out at camp with those I hunt with, and hunting with family whenever possible.