2022 Bear Guns

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Did the job this season. I’m not all that familiar with guns but practiced in the off season. I just figured at my beginner level it’s way more about the shooter than the firearm.

View attachment 1152655View attachment 1152656
Don't get much better than that! I wouldn't class myself at a beginner level, having success like that in the mountains. .

chrislibby88

Did the job this season. I’m not all that familiar with guns but practiced in the off season. I just figured at my beginner level it’s way more about the shooter than the firearm.

View attachment 1152655View attachment 1152656
Don’t worry about us fancy boys that waste money on nicer things. I could probably own more land if I didn’t waste so much on hunting crap I don’t actually NEED. I would bet money you can easily find a factory load that shoots sub MOA out of your Savage. All you need in a deer gun (in my opinion) is a shorter barrel so you don’t snag every branch in the woods, light enough weight that you don’t hate carrying it, and MOA accuracy. If you wanna spend money on anything spend it on the scope. Unlike guns there is a very noticeable difference between low end scopes and high end scopes. With guns you just pay for better stocks, fancier materials, and a higher level of polish on the machining and finish.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the days when I was heavy into bear hunting, you saw pretty much three guns, and nothing else. Lever action .30-30 or .35 Remington, or a Ruger .44 carbine. All open sighted.

Swampdogg

That is my goal this year to get one with the .44
early season I will try with a bow and if it’s when it heats up for deer i will use a longer range option with a scope.

Mattval

I shot one earlier this week during an Idaho spring bear hunt. I was using a 9.3x62 which is 36.6 caliber and has a bit more punch than a 35 Whelen. The gun was a customized pre-64 Winchester model 70 that has done well in Africa too.
I want a 9.3x62 really bad to! I came across this cartridge a couple of years ago. It has a wonderful history.

Mattval

My son wants me to come out of retirement and take him bear hunting this year. Marlin 1894 .44 with hard cast lead for him. I'll back him up with my cz .22mag for pigs
I am all about a 22 mag for pigs. I use a Rem 597 22 Mag