30mm tube vs 1" tube thoughts

coastalredneck

looking to re-scope and old safe queen BAR i have. what are yalls opinions of the two tubes mentioned? i have 1" tubes on all my rifles but considering a 30mm tube on this rifle.. still trying to keep it as light as possible as the BAR's tend to be heavy. Thanks for any input .

menhadenman

I’m buying mostly 30 mm tubes these days. They’re a little more robust and offer more travel (dialing) compared to a similar 1” model. The Trijicon hunting scopes that are out there now are pretty sweet and come at a reasonable price. Europtics in PA has some good deals on them often.

Jester896

Senior Clown
A 1" tube is usually for erectors with a 50MOA range. You will need the larger 30mm tube to house the 70-80MOA range erectors. Sometimes you still may have to watch and stay away from the ones with a 30mm tube and only 50MOA travel.

I don't see the need for a large range with a BAR...save the money and get better quality glass.

Last edited:

pacecars

A 1" tube is usually for erectors with a 50MOA range. You will need the larger 30mm tube to house the 70-80MOA ranger erectors. Sometimes you still may have to watch and stay away from the ones with a 30mm tube and only 50MOA travel.

I don't see the need for a large range with a BAR...save the money and get better quality glass.
What he said. A quality 1” scope is cheaper and easier to mount than a quality 30mm tube scope. The only advantage with a 30mm is in additional adjustments. They do not transmit more light than a 1 inch tube.

specialk

to me glass is more important than rifle, one inch tubes never let me down.....id shave weight somewhere else.....

tcward

What he said. A quality 1” scope is cheaper and easier to mount than a quality 30mm tube scope. The only advantage with a 30mm is in additional adjustments. They do not transmit more light than a 1 inch tube.
This^

Jester896

Senior Clown
You all don’t buy the notion that 30 mm tubes are gonna be tougher?
They could be...are the turrets capped or uncapped? If they are capped probably not...about the same. If they are uncapped they could have a beefier turret system and could be tougher because they are meant to be used regularly dialing up or down. An uncapped 1" is pretty tough too...Leupold Tactical could be an example. The ones I am thinking about have a black ring not a gold ring.

menhadenman

I’ve read that the 30 mm tubes allow for beefier construction, more real estate for engineers to make reliable designs (I don’t think NF even makes a 1” scope for example). But comes at the expense of a little more weight.

I’ve had four 1” rifle scopes fail, a Leupold two Nikons and a Bushnell. The Bushnell didn’t surprise me but 20 years ago I believed Nikon was the best budget scope and Leupold was the gold standard.

To be honest I also had a 30 mm scope go down. It was on a crossbow so maybe that had something to do with it. Even more surprising it was the legendary SWFA… but I’ve since learned that their 1-4x are made in Philippines and supposedly don’t have the ironclad reputation of their fixed and 3-9x do.

But if you don’t shoot much, easy on equipment, and don’t dial (set and forget) there’s probably a lot of options that’ll survive. Heck I killed my first 30+ deer using stuff I wouldn’t mess with these days.

Internet is the devil :rofl:

coastalredneck

A 1" tube is usually for erectors with a 50MOA range. You will need the larger 30mm tube to house the 70-80MOA ranger erectors. Sometimes you still may have to watch and stay away from the ones with a 30mm tube and only 50MOA travel.

so basically Jester.. the main advantage of the 30mm tubes is the fact that you have more "adjustment"room?? that is not a concern of mine. .. as this is a deer hunting rifle that will shoot short to mid range. thanks for responding.

pacecars

I think the reason the 30mm tubes were considered stronger is because the Europeans that built them used steel tubes and didn’t care about weight.

Jester896

Senior Clown
nice...I might grab one of those to put up...I could hold the bottom hash mark on a 600 yard target and still be high with my 6.5WSM :LOL:

Latest posts