30mm tube vs 1" tube thoughts

menhadenman

That 6.5 WSM is moving!

I’ve purchase 3 Trijicon scopes since they started putting out more hunting options. An Ascent, a Huron, and a Credo.

Always liked the company and had stuff for pistols but not rifles. Europtic is a great place to buy from too.

Reactions: Dub

pacecars

Ii do love the Trijicons but always preferred the amber triangle. It shows up well in hunting situations

coastalredneck

I did just pick up a 1" 3-9x scope for one of my rifle projects... pretty good deal if you're going to set it and forget it aside from maybe some holds.

ive never owned or much less looked at Triijicon scopes.. i own mostly ljust Leupold, have a few Rifleman series which i believe are now marketed as Freedom series..(which by the way ive been impressed with comapred to the other series i own.. Have a vari-X1, VX2 and just mounted a VX3HD on my sons first deer rifle. All 50mm but looking to go to a 40mm for weight savings on the BAR mentioned. Do you own any leupolds and if so how do they compare to the Trijicon as to weight and glass quality? Ill be honest... leaning towards a 300-400 dollar scope because of the amount of use the gun will get in the woods and the fact that im putting 3 kids through private school at the moment.. lol. thanks for your input.

coastalredneck

Ii do love the Trijicons but always preferred the amber triangle. It shows up well in hunting situations
how do you compare these to Leupolds.. thats all ive ever owned.. weight wise and glass clarity.. i do like the short Leupold demensions and a long big scope on a rifle doesn't look good imo.

menhadenman

ive never owned or much less looked at Triijicon scopes.. i own mostly ljust Leupold, have a few Rifleman series which i believe are now marketed as Freedom series..(which by the way ive been impressed with comapred to the other series i own.. Have a vari-X1, VX2 and just mounted a VX3HD on my sons first deer rifle. All 50mm but looking to go to a 40mm for weight savings on the BAR mentioned. Do you own any leupolds and if so how do they compare to the Trijicon as to weight and glass quality? Ill be honest... leaning towards a 300-400 dollar scope because of the amount of use the gun will get in the woods and the fact that im putting 3 kids through private school at the moment.. lol. thanks for your input.

You’d be impressed with Trijicon. I’ve owned several Leupolds - they’re great glass and weight but I’ve had two go belly up on me. That $300 deal from europtic is good for a Trijicon. For a cheap 1” tube I’m going that route or maybe Burris.

Liberty

I have swapped to a heavy 30mm Athlon on the rifle that I shoot for score and really like it because the turrets are huge and easy to adjust back to zero. Before the Athlon, I used a 1 inch 3x Nikon, then a Leupod with smaller turrets and no zero stop. I only shoot to 600, so lack of adjustment was never an issue. There is not a lot of effort involved in carrying a 10 lb rifle to the firing line, but hiking thru the woods with a 12 lb rifle at this point in life is unthinkable. I’d go with the lightest scope that has enough magnification for my purpose. Currently, a low power variable optic fits my needs.

Last edited:

Darkhorse

I shoot 1" tubes and 40mm objective lens. I only buy a scope with fully multicoated lens. Full means both inside and outside of a lens is coated and the coating is the main thing that gathers more light over a scope that only has coated optics.
I can shoot before and past legal shooting times with no problems.
All the better scopes should be fully multicoated.

Dub

Ordered a scope with a 34mm tube yesterday.....pile of adjustment can be dialed in...>36 MILs of elevation.

Sucka is heavy enough to use as a nightstick. :rofl:

No plans to hunt anything except paper & steel with it, though.....unless I can bolt on a set of wheels to turn the rifle into a cannon. :fine:

HughW2

For a BAR that will hunt primarily in GA, go with a 1” scope tube all day everyday.

30mm is good if you are a dialer and are shooting a lot at distance (over 300 yards). And need a lot of adjustment in elevation. For a guy that hunts GA woods for deer (where shots are typically under 100 yards) it just adds a lot of weight.

In GA I would rather find the best 1 inch with the best light transmission and optical clarity.