6.5x55 Dies and brass came in

jicard3

Saw a couple different 6.5 Swede threads lately. They inspired me to dust off my measly Mauser and work up a load to shoot next deer season. Shot 140 grain Core Lokt in the gun years ago but I'm going to see if I can get a 129 grain SST to group. If it'll work I should be able to get a touch more velocity while keeping the pressure low in the old Mauser. We'll see, should be fun.

bullgator

What’s the twist rate?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
In military form those Mausers shot 160ish grain bullets which were long for caliber. They needed a fast twist. I think that most current production barrels are 1:8 range for similar reasons.

bullgator

In military form those Mausers shot 160ish grain bullets which were long for caliber. They needed a fast twist. I think that most current production barrels are 1:8 range for similar reasons.
That’s why I was curious about the 129 gr. bullets.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
That’s why I was curious about the 129 gr. bullets.
A guy I know has a Ruger 77RSI in 6.5X55 and it shoots the 129gr well under an inch. Ruger uses a 1:8 twist.
It put 3 120gr Barnes TTSX in .4 something at 100yds.

Bobby Bigtime

I have had, shot and loaded for a half dozen swedes. They tend to shoot well with a variety of bullets weights. I have had super good results with IMR 4831 it is my favorite powder in the swedes.

bullgator

A guy I know has a Ruger 77RSI in 6.5X55 and it shoots the 129gr well under an inch. Ruger uses a 1:8 twist.
It put 3 120gr Barnes TTSX in .4 something at 100yds.
The Barnes don’t surprise me at all. They are long and lots of bearing surface for their weight, much like a heavier traditional cup and core bullet.