A first for me

Dupree

First time I’ve ever eaten the heart. I used to save it and the liver for my wife’s grandfather, but had never tried it myself. Killed a doe Sunday and had already decided prior that I was going to save it and try it out. I put it in a brine of water, salt, sugar, whole black peppercorns, a couple bay leaves, and a few onion slices on Sunday and left it in there until last night. I sliced the heart thin, then cut the slices into strips. I seasoned with some Mrs dash “fiesta lime” seasoning and garlic then put it in a hot skillet with some avocado oil for 2 minutes or less. Made some great tacos. I don’t see myself leaving the heart behind for the yotes in the future. 4B8B3FD1-8666-4CC2-87A9-5465CAA8CE4A.jpeg6F49CE70-AF13-4FA9-9A4E-631C1C17252B.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks delicious! I used to leave them in the gut pile, but after I actually tried one several years ago, they come with me now. Good eating, I call it the bonus steak.

Bowyer29

First time I’ve ever eaten the heart. I used to save it and the liver for my wife’s grandfather, but had never tried it myself. Killed a doe Sunday and had already decided prior that I was going to save it and try it out. I put it in a brine of water, salt, sugar, whole black peppercorns, a couple bay leaves, and a few onion slices on Sunday and left it in there until last night. I sliced the heart thin, then cut the slices into strips. I seasoned with some Mrs dash “fiesta lime” seasoning and garlic then put it in a hot skillet with some avocado oil for 2 minutes or less. Made some great tacos. I don’t see myself leaving the heart behind for the yotes in the future. View attachment 1107185View attachment 1107186
My grandfather made "stuffed" heart back in the day. I slice it thin, as you did, and lightly fry it in Pam spray. Delicious!

killerv

Looks great, mine are never in that condition though

UO3st8G.png

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I may try your recipe , it looks great ! I’ve fried it just like cube steak and my dogs enjoyed it . But they’ll eat it raw just as good

Dupree

Looks great, mine are never in that condition though

UO3st8G.png
I rarely mess ones heart up. I try to aim for double lung with rifle and bow.

davidf

it is a prime piece of meat, i've never tried it smoked like mentioned in the thread but that will change soon.

Whit90

Man its great! tried my first one last year. Just as good as back strap in my opinion, just with a slight difference in texture. I didn't brine mine and it was delicious!

@Sixes I rather not gut them either, but I am telling you it is worth it! you should give it a try.

Whit90

I like to smoke them. Stuff the chambers with a mixture of cream cheese and cheddar. Wrap in bacon and smoke over hickory at 225. When finished chop it up and serve as dip on pork rinds or chips. Makes a great appetizer.

That sounds awesome! Im going to have to try that one.

Latest posts