A Friend and veteran needs some advice

bilgerat

Senior
One of My old bosses and friend is 83 yo and a Vietnam vet , He has trouble getting around as has to use a cane to walk. He has been self-sufficient living alone up until yesterday morning when his house caught on fire and burned to the ground. The red cross came out and gave him a few hundred dollars and he got a ride to my house asking for a place to sleep for a few days, I like the old feller but really dont want him sleeping on the couch for any extended period of time. Plus my gal aint too keen on the idea either , Im looking for any help/advice on where he can find assistance With a place to stay and some financial help. Thanks

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR

bilgerat

Senior
hes on SS and gets VA benefits but has had financial troubles as of late and he let his insurance laps. . he went thru his retirement savings years ago He has no children and not sure if he has any surviving family.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Based on the information you provided, I think you may want to consider helping him research assisted living options in your area.
His SS and VA should be sufficient for some assisted living facilities.

Reactions: Dub

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
These folks may be of help. If he has no family he may not be anchored here. The national veterans home is in San Antonio, TX.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Some communities have companies that use older large farm houses for assisted living facilities. There are a couple in the Walton county area.

Based on experience with family I have learned that there are more openings for ladies than for men.

basstrkr

Thanks Bilge for stepping up to help. Call any local nursing home or homecare provider and tell them this story. They have a wealth of info that will help. Don't ask for services just ask them what might can be done.

jcbcpa

My Brother in Law is in an assisted living home in Edison and basically he has enough money each money for personal items and they take the rest of his SS. Not sure how it would work for your friend who also has VA benefits. I'm sure there are other ALH's in our area that probably do the same thing.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
There is a church near Bowman GA that has homes to put people up in when things happen PM me if that is an option

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
If he does not have a helpful family, i would take him to the closest VA, explain the situation, and i think they will take care of him immediately.

They have people to deal with that type of situation. Make sure they understand that he is homeless.

It is wonderful that you have taken him in during this horrible situation. Thank you

skiff20

One of My old bosses and friend is 83 yo and a Vietnam vet , He has trouble getting around as has to use a cane to walk. He has been self-sufficient living alone up until yesterday morning when his house caught on fire and burned to the ground. The red cross came out and gave him a few hundred dollars and he got a ride to my house asking for a place to sleep for a few days, I like the old feller but really dont want him sleeping on the couch for any extended period of time. Plus my gal aint too keen on the idea either , Im looking for any help/advice on where he can find assistance With a place to stay and some financial help. Thanks
Find the VA office in your area. The VA used to pay around 1800 dollars a month for Vets and about half that for the spouse for assisted living facilities. This was about 15 years ago. I guess they still do it. My dad was a WWII veteran and my mother received about 900 dollars a month. But whatever else you do get the VA involved.

bilgerat

Senior
Man hes a stubborn old coot!!!, Hes refusing help from just about every one. After spending a few days with him I found out he has a son in Florida and a brother and a sister who live in Ga but he wont call them for help. He refuses to even talk about assisted living or personal care homes. He said hes gonna go get a hotel room monday and go up to the VA Tuesday and see if they will give him money to pay for it. I know they wont but hes determined to go argue with them. I left a message with Veterans services office up in Gainesville ga but they are closed till tuesday. I sure hope they can help him out .

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Man hes a stubborn old coot!!!, Hes refusing help from just about every one. After spending a few days with him I found out he has a son in Florida and a brother and a sister who live in Ga but he wont call them for help. He refuses to even talk about assisted living or personal care homes. He said hes gonna go get a hotel room monday and go up to the VA Tuesday and see if they will give him money to pay for it. I know they wont but hes determined to go argue with them. I left a message with Veterans services office up in Gainesville ga but they are closed till tuesday. I sure hope they can help him out .

Good on you for trying. Sounds like he is in denial of how serious his situation is.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
You check with the VFW or American Legion?

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Typical. This behavior does not surprise me. If he goes to the VA that is a huge start. They know how to deal with that behavior.

I am not a huge fan of the VA, but i believe their track record is pretty good with elderly veterans in his situation. They will likely have his next of kin info (son / brother) if it comes to that.

If you still want to help him, try to figure out how to contact his family. They need to be involved.

bilgerat

Senior
we contacted his son and he said if the old dude shows up at his place hes calling the police!! I didnt ask why cause it aint none of my business. he doesn't want to talk to anyone at the VA , said they were all crooked government bureaucrats!! Im close to giving up and taking him to a hotel tomorrow.