A little food for thought from C.S. Lewis

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Some things are hidden from the wise and prudent. And some things are revealed unto babes.

Funny thing about that quote is no one ever quotes it from the wise and prudent perspective. You ever notice that?

If you will notice, that scripture is very carefully placed as to who was being addressed, what was being addressed, and the time it was being addressed. All very concise. It was not meant as a generic "catch all" the way you used it.

Anyone, anywhere, could use that scripture to justify any position on any doctrine or any imagined doctrine, any truth or untruth ......and many do. So, there's that.

Last edited:

welderguy

Funny thing about that quote is no one ever quotes it from the wise and prudent perspective. You ever notice that?

If you will notice, that scripture is very carefully placed as to who was being addressed, what was being addressed, and the time it was being addressed. All very concise. It was not meant as a generic "catch all" the way you used it.

The
Anyone, anywhere, could use that scripture to justify any position on any doctrine or any imagined doctrine, any truth or untruth ......and many do. So, there's that.

So are you a babe? Or just a cry baby?

SemperFiDawg

You take liberties in attaching motives where you shouldn't. How are you so wise and prudent in your justification of doing that?

I attached no motives. I understand and respect what you believe in. As I alluded to one of us is going to be surprised the day we go toes up. It was you who made the comment that inferred one of us had understanding and the other one lacked it. If there was no motive there, you certainly have my apologies, but I stand behind what I said regarding the use of that scripture out of context. It was and is true.

SemperFiDawg

Ephesians 4:7-9

Niceness Creed "he descended into he11" actually hades.

Read up on The Harrowing of He11.

Christ can save who he chooses.

I had never heard of this before. Reading it was fascinating, especially the Acts of Pilate. On a broader scale, my appreciation for the work of the early Church has been increased and my eyes opened as to the importance of the institution itself. In short, Thank You.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
SFD, I am knowingly hijacking your thread. If you would like me to start a new thread I will do so. My thinking is that at least I will address those who already have some background in this thread.

Reading Gordon's "C S Lewis making his rounds." in which he, quite reasonably, suggests that there should be no objection to allowing our God given mental and intellectual abilities to relate those authorities, which we accept, to the other aspects of our lives, which are not necessarily the subject of that authority, because to do so would be a form of intellectual slackery; it occurred to me that the first indication of intellectual slackness would be our failure to properly research and understand the meaning of that authority which we have accepted as foundational to our investigation.

With that thought in mind I would like to make this request: as the Lewis quote, in the OP of this thread, that is available all over the web, ends with the prepositional phrase "by Him", upon which phrase I based my initial response to Lewis, and the statement in my personal copy of Mere Christianity (ISBN 0-06-065292-6) ends "through Him", which conveys a not insignificant distinction, in addition to the context of the full chapter, and I only have one copy of the book; would any of you, who are interested and have a copy of Mere Christianity, post the ending of the quote as it appears in your copy along with the identity of the publication.

>>>edit<<<
I had initially misquoted both sources as saying "by Christ" and "through Christ". I have corrected that error to "by Him" and "through Him". MY BAD.

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

SFD, I am knowingly hijacking your thread. If you would like me to start a new thread I will do so. My thinking is that at least I will address those who already have some background in this thread.

Reading Gordon's "C S Lewis making his rounds." in which he, quite reasonably, suggests that there should be no objection to allowing our God given mental and intellectual abilities to relate those authorities, which we accept, to the other aspects of our lives, which are not necessarily the subject of that authority, because to do so would be a form of intellectual slackery; it occurred to me that the first indication of intellectual slackness would be our failure to properly research and understand the meaning of that authority which we have accepted as foundational to our investigation.

With that thought in mind I would like to make this request: as the Lewis quote, in the OP of this thread, that is available all over the web, ends with the prepositional phrase "by Him", upon which phrase I based my initial response to Lewis, and the statement in my personal copy of Mere Christianity (ISBN 0-06-065292-6) ends "through Him", which conveys a not insignificant distinction, in addition to the context of the full chapter, and I only have one copy of the book; would any of you, who are interested and have a copy of Mere Christianity, post the ending of the quote as it appears in your copy along with the identity of the publication.

>>>edit<<<
I had initially misquoted both sources as saying "by Christ" and "through Christ". I have corrected that error to "by Him" and "through Him". MY BAD.

“Here is another thing that used to puzzle me. Is it not frightfully unfair that this new life should be confined to people who have heard of Christ and been able to believe in Him? But the truth is God has not told us what His arrangements about the other people are. We do know that no man can be saved except through Christ; we do not know that only those who know Him can be saved through Him. But in the meantime, if you are worried about the people outside, the most unreasonable thing you can do is to remain outside yourself. Christians are Christ’s body, the organism through which He works. Every addition to that body enables Him to do more. If you want to help those outside you must add your own little cell to the body of Christ who alone can help them. Cutting off a man’s fingers would be an odd way of getting him to do more work.”

Excerpt From: C. S. Lewis. “Mere Christianity.” Apple Books.

Let me know if this is what you were seeking. It's slightly different than the one posted in the first post, which I pulled off the internet, but at least to me the point is the same.

Last edited:

Madman

I had never heard of this before. Reading it was fascinating, especially the Acts of Pilate. On a broader scale, my appreciation for the work of the early Church has been increased and my eyes opened as to the importance of the institution itself. In short, Thank You.
SFD. There is a lot of fantastic reading that came out of the early Church.
God's peace

Last edited:

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
“Here is another thing that used to puzzle me. Is it not frightfully unfair that this new life should be confined to people who have heard of Christ and been able to believe in Him? But the truth is God has not told us what His arrangements about the other people are. We do know that no man can be saved except through Christ; we do not know that only those who know Him can be saved through Him. But in the meantime, if you are worried about the people outside, the most unreasonable thing you can do is to remain outside yourself. Christians are Christ’s body, the organism through which He works. Every addition to that body enables Him to do more. If you want to help those outside you must add your own little cell to the body of Christ who alone can help them. Cutting off a man’s fingers would be an odd way of getting him to do more work.”

Excerpt From: C. S. Lewis. “Mere Christianity.” Apple Books.

Let me know if this is what you were seeking. It's slightly different than the one posted in the first post, which I pulled off the internet, but at least to me the point is the same.

Yes, that "saved through Him" (red), at the end of that sentence is what I'm after. Thank you.

SemperFiDawg

SFD. There is a lot of fantastic reading that came out of the early Church.
God's peace

I'm all ears. Give me your top 3 for now and I will wade into them when I get the chance. Right now I'm only have about 3-4 books waiting on me to read them.

Madman

Read any of the 7 ecumenical councils. The Shepard of Hermas, The Didache, any of
Augustine's writings.

The best book I have going right now is "Logos Rising" by E. Michael Jones.

SemperFiDawg

Read any of the 7 ecumenical councils. The Shepard of Hermas, The Didache, any of
Augustine's writings.

The best book I have going right now is "Logos Rising" by E. Michael Jones.

Immediately looked up Logos Rising and the description had me enamored right up until the end.

Logos Rising: A History of Ultimate Reality describes the tragic and yet ultimately triumphant progress of Logos in human history, from the beginning of everything, to the emergence of the concept, to the Democratic primary of 2020.

Don't know if I want to run toward it or away from it now. ;)

Madman

Immediately looked up Logos Rising and the description had me enamored right up until the end.

Don't know if I want to run toward it or away from it now. ;)
Just remember my friend,
In war always run toward the American flag,
In life run toward the Eucharist.

SemperFiDawg

Just remember my friend,
In war always run toward the American flag,

Yeah, I've done that. In fact, unfortunately I've spent most all my life running toward one banner or another. The problem as I've come to know it, is that running in any direction at some point takes me away from the only place I'm meant to be: the foot of the Cross. Where those other paths converge at the Cross, or fall under it's shadow is God's domain and I acknowledge them, but those days of following them are over. As long as God is willing to give me the sense to keep me here, I hope to stay.

Madman

Yeah, I've done that. In fact, unfortunately I've spent most all my life running toward one banner or another. The problem as I've come to know it, is that running in any direction at some point takes me away from the only place I'm meant to be: the foot of the Cross. Where those other paths converge at the Cross, or fall under it's shadow is God's domain and I acknowledge them, but those days of following them are over. As long as God is willing to give me the sense to keep me here, I hope to stay.
I'm with you there. A very old priest friend of mine once told me; "if you have a cold, flee to the Eucharist, trouble at work, flee to the Eucharist, marital problems, flee to the Eucharist, good day, bad day, flee to the Eucharist, that is where you touch Christ. As the Scriptures say, "he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood, will have eternal life"".

I could not navigate this realm without Christ.