A Newbie’s First 2 Outings…

Viiiwonder

Half idle comment, maybe to provoke commentary or suggestion:

New hunter this year. Somewhat new to outdoors (I’ve hiked from Springer to 3 forks, gone camping, etc, just never hunted and tried to get away from the beaten paths this much).

I’ve geared up to be able to single stick, bow hunt, and rifle. I have no access to any private lands and live in Metro Atlanta, so I’ve resigned myself to just hunt public land. This is less about pressure on public, and more about the land itself (from an admittedly small sample set of my own observations).

Also disclaimer: I have yet to do a morning sit; both of these trips were mid-day as I kind of considered them to be practice/scouting.

First trip was last Thursday to Oconee WMA - I drove about half the open roadways, and was shocked at how dense the underbrush was, even more so at the new growth in the clear cuts. It honestly looked like I was driving between two solid walls of pine bark, 10 feet high. Eventually, I got closer to the lake side, up at the top fo the valley - this was more the Georgia Wilds that I know. Fairly open forest floor, etc - maybe this is just the case in hardwood stands. I climbed a tree and sat until dusk. I noticed someone’s trail cam on a tree where near I climbed, so I felt not so stupid for being there. In the end I saw nothing but some squirrels, and thoroughly enjoyed my meditation.

Second trip was to the Cedar Creek Little River WMA/Area. The place looked to have been clear cut a year or two back, maybe even within the last 12 months. That brush was so thick with thorns, brambles, and other waist high general blockage to be un-navigable. I made it to one or two of the remaining stands of trees, but made so much noise as to wake the dead. Like I said: ‘practicing’, and ‘learning’. I saw no means by which anyone could manage to hunt this area in any way that I’ve read or heard about. Not sure that any of the vegetation I saw would count as browsing material for deer.

SO, having had two such experiences, I’m eager to try my third, but hopefully in a more pleasant setting. Each of these trips costs me nearly 3 hours of driving to get out to a WMA and do this scouting. I’m learning to correlate the satellite to what I’m seeing when boots on the ground, which is helping pick the next area.

Eventually, I look forward to doing a morning sit - once I’ve found a place that I don’t think will be a waste of time. It will take a considerably early rise to do so.

I leave you with no questions, but an invitation to comment on my experience and call this newbie hunter fun names!

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Spend as much time as you can in the woods year round. None of it is a waste of time. Get out there early and stay late. That’s the only way to shorten the learning curve. It takes time. Good luck and have fun!

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Also don't be afraid to hunt close. Most people say you have to walk a mile in a WMA to get away from people and find deer. I have hunted deep in WMAs and I have hunted where I can still see my truck. I hunt where the sign is and to be honest I've killed more deer in sight of my truck than deep in the woods. Not because I'm lazy, because that's were the sign was.

kayaksteve

Those thick nasty areas no one else hunts can be great hideouts for deer but also very hard to hunt. But it’d be a great place to find a honey hole that could be overlooked

Viiiwonder

Also don't be afraid to hunt close. Most people say you have to walk a mile in a WMA to get away from people and find deer. I have hunted deep in WMAs and I have hunted where I can still see my truck. I hunt where the sign is and to be honest I've killed more deer in sight of my truck than deep in the woods. Not because I'm lazy, because that's were the sign was.
That longer sit I did into the evening wasn’t too far from the Outback. Which was nice when I was trying to find it in the dark… Between onX, the handheld GPS, and remote start… it was a success.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
So, just stay out of the brush until you have a reason to go into it? :)

Use the firebreaks to explore, and you will find open areas that are not visible from roads...Example.

Frirebreak headed thru the thick small pines, toward a creek bottom a couple hundred yards away...

As you near the creek, the planted pines stop, and a small oak hammock comes into view with acorns, a nice deer trail crossing the creek, and a couple scrapes. You can set-up on the edge of the pines, and see 40-50 yards, down into and up the other side...

You're in the money.

Just gotta go find it, and keep on learning.

Nimrod71

V, you are doing good. You are starting on a road that will never end, learning deer hunting. I have been deer hunting since 1964 and I still learn something from time to time. Don't worry be Happy, you are out in the woods. The first thing to look for are deer trails, as you ride around look for where the deer cross the roads. Make notes on a map where the crossing are and compare their use. The most used trails are the ones to hunt most. Park off the road and scout the deer trails. Like above stated the growth will be worst by the roads and will generally open up as you get deeper in the woods. Deer like thick cover. I kill more deer in thick places than open. Most of my shots are within 25 yds.

A good thing to do is plan a weekend trip to Bullard Creek WMA. Camping is available on site and good roads.

dang

DANG !!!
I’ll offer this. Don’t write off those thick grown up areas. They’re just as miserable to you as they are to everyone else and that means people stay out…and deer go in. With that said, I’d focus on sign first. Once you find good promising sign, look around. If you can see unobstructed more than 30-40 yards from the ground, I’d personally move on to the nearest thicker cover (this is just my general advice there are certainly exceptions mentioned). Get on the edge of, or in the thick cover and get up high. You’ll be surprised at how well you’ll be able to see down into it. The deer feel safe, and you can catch them slipping. Mid-day hunting is great in thick areas. Personally though, I like getting in early…an hour before daylight up the tree. Nothing better than the anticipation of daylight from 25ft up a tree

kayaksteve

I like to squirrel hunt a new area a couple times before I really worry about deer. you can cover a lot of ground and cross off places without feeling the pressure of trying to find deer. You inevitably find sign probably in multiple spots. Then you can return on another trip with a plan and be prepared to hunt or scout more

Latest posts