? about rem. 870 barrel interchange.

Gun Docc

roadkill said:
? about rem. 870 barrel interchange. I have an 870 Express with 2 3/4 chamber. Will a 3" chamber slug barrel fit?

Yes it will fit the gun but will not cycle 3 inch shells

there is a difference in the ejector location from a 2-3/4 inch gun to a 3 inch gun, this difference is in the length of the ejector and ejector spring

the barrel Will fit and you can shoot 2-3/4 inch loads without any troubles just not the 3 inch loads

the 2-3/4 inch action can actually be changed to cycle the 3 inch loads with an ejector and ejector spring change to the proper length needed

roadkill

Thanks for the help. I was afraid it wouldn't fit without making some changes. I'll just make sure it's a 2 3/4 barrel. I think the 3" shells would kick too much anyway.

Buck111

The barrel will fit and fire, but a 2 3/4'' rated receiver isn't rated for magnum (3'') rounds. I'd stick with the original barrel. The 2 3/4'' rounds will do just about anything you need them to but won't destroy your gun.

huntfish

Gun Docc said:
Yes it will fit the gun but will not cycle 3 inch shells

there is a difference in the ejector location from a 2-3/4 inch gun to a 3 inch gun, this difference is in the length of the ejector and ejector spring

the barrel Will fit and you can shoot 2-3/4 inch loads without any troubles just not the 3 inch loads

the 2-3/4 inch action can actually be changed to cycle the 3 inch loads with an ejector and ejector spring change to the proper length needed
You are correct. I was thinking about shooting 3" shells in it and did not want to cause a Safety Issue.

roadkill

The barrel will fit and fire, but a 2 3/4'' rated receiver isn't rated for magnum (3'') rounds.
I didn't think about that. I'm glad I checked here first. I think I'll just play it safe and stick with the 2 3/4. Thanks for all the info.