Barrel lengths and suppressors

Mattval

Hey there I have a question about suppressors and barrel lengths. If a rifle has a shorter barrel to accommodate a suppressor will it lose velocity or will the added length of the suppressor make up for it? Say if 24" barrel vs a 20" barrel.

Thank

bullgator

Lose velocity.
The expanding gases are only trapped behind the bullet in the barrel. Once it enters the suppressor chamber it is no longer being propelled by the gasses that are being trapped by the suppressor.

trial&error

^^^^^ This.^^^

There are occasions when a shorter barrel provides less drag and speed goes up. Like subsonic where the powder burns up mostly before the bullet exits and extra length puts drag on a bullet. The kind of occasion that would call for a suppressor.

Stevie Ray

Excuse my chicken scratch but here are my numbers on 2 different rifles. View attachment 1251932

I've never done any comprehensive testing but have never noticed any significant loss of velocity with my shorter barreled suppressed rifles, if there ever was any loss it was *for me* made up with less flinching and less felt recoil which most always resulted in better performance on my end while shooting surpassed.

Plus, it's just so danged cool to shoot a gun with a suppressor on it.

Last edited:

Dub

I've never done any comprehensive testing but have never noticed any significant loss of velocity with my suppressed rifles, if there ever was any loss it was *for me* made up with less flinching and less felt recoil which most always resulted in better performance on my end while shooting surpassed.

Plus, it's just so danged cool to shoot a gun with a suppressor on it.

Then there are the guys like me putting compensators on target guns at every opportunity. :rofl:

Tends to make some folks angry at the range.

rosewood

Excuse my chicken scratch but here are my numbers on 2 different rifles. View attachment 1251932
Those variations are within the range from shot to shot. I would say at least in those setups, the supressor has zero effect on velocity.

Rosewood

FlipKing

Those variations are within the range from shot to shot. I would say at least in those setups, the supressor has zero effect on velocity.

Rosewood
These were based on 3 shot averages I think, but definitely shows minimal change caused by the supressor in by .308 and 6.5. 308 is a Waypoint, 6.5 is a Ridgeline. Supressor is a Banish 30.