New rifle???

pete2018

So I have an itch for a new rifle. I been shooting .308 win for years and love it. I been looking at 2 brands. Tikka and Bergara. I like the tikka because of the wood stock and it’s a blued barrel and I would get it in .308 win. The Bergara is also nice but it has a carbon barrel and I was thinking of getting it in a 7mm Prc. My question is am not familiar with carbon barrels. I know there is a metal insert. But will the outside of the carbon barrel be able to take wear and tear and abuse like a blued barrel ??? Thanks !!!

bighonkinjeep

Having seen virtually every new latest greatest cartridge except .17hmr for the last 40 years come and then fade into obscurity I'd stick with .308 no matter which rifle you decide.

The RUMs WSMs SPCs as well as cartridges by TC Hornady Ruger Federal Norma etc. and countless others come to mind.
The last centerfire cartridge to come on the scene that i can remember having even moderate success thats still around was the 7-08 in 1980.

If you simply must have a fast 7mm that requires deep pockets and has significant recoil, the 7mag comes to mind.

Its your money, but I bet a dollar against a donut the PRCs are gonna be relagated to dusty pics and hype in old gun magazines before you know it.
Just a little something to consider.

Last edited:

Robert28

If you like the Tikka with the wood stock and want to compare apples to apples take a look at the Bergara Timber The rifle with the carbon fiber barrel you’re looking at is their top of the line and gonna run you significantly more than the Tikka. Just something to keep in mind.

Robert28

I have the B14 Hunter in 308 and after bedding the stock it’ll shoot with ANY Tikka out there. It smokes my friends Savage 6.5 creedmoor even.

Deerhead

Earlier this year I wanted a new rifle. I already have 308, 270 wsm... But since the COVID ammo shortage I went with 3006 because of availability and versatility. I went with a Christensen Arms Ridgeline because I wanted a carbon barrel. I am happy with my choice.

If you are not set on a carbon barrel a quality steel barrel will serve you well. The Tikka and Bergara are fine rifles!

earlthegoat2

Having seen virtually every new latest greatest cartridge except .17hmr for the last 40 years come and then fade into obscurity I'd stick with .308 no matter which rifle you decide.

The RUMs WSMs SPCs as well as cartridges by TC Hornady Ruger Federal Norma etc. and countless others come to mind.
The last centerfire cartridge to come on the scene that i can remember having even moderate success thats still around was the 7-08 in 1980.

If you simply must have a fast 7mm that requires deep pockets and has significant recoil, the 7mag comes to mind.

Its your money, but I bet a dollar against a donut the PRCs are gonna be relagated to dusty pics and hype in old gun magazines before you know it.

Remember that old 6.5 Creedmoor.

What a flash in the pan that was.

Big7

The Oracle
As long as it says Ruger 77 MARK I
or MARK II or Ruger HAWKEYE you are in the top slot. :bounce:

FlipKing

Can't find 6.5 CM ammo anywhere. Don't even make it anymore ;) lol

bighonkinjeep

Can't find 6.5 CM ammo anywhere. Don't even make it anymore ;) lol
Creed mania sorta reminds me of the WSMs. Back in the day everybody had one. Ammo was everywhere for a decade or so. They still make WSM rifles but ammo availability's hit or miss nowdays.
Remember the .30TC?
Yeah few have heard of it or remember it, even though its the parent case for the Creed.
As far as the PRCs they may be flavor of the day but as soon as something else comes along and starts winning competitions I'm pretty sure they'll fade.
Time will tell but I expect this post will age well as it pertains to the PRCs

Dub

Remember that old 6.5 Creedmoor.

What a flash in the pan that was.

I've given a few folks a hard time about the 6.5CM and their overbearing fanhood.

When I put aside the noise some of the new shooters ginned up about it....and truly looked at the cartridge....couldn't help myself. Fun to shoot.

Don't know if I'll ever hunt with one....but it sure is fun lobbing rounds with it.

menhadenman

I’ve heard several times that carbon barrels can be more difficult to please. My Tikkas are pretty much happy with any round I use, factory or handload.

I’d grab a 308 between your two choices. The 7 RM (like the X Bolt with a faster 1-8 twist) can still outpace a 7 PRC if you handload. If I were inclined to go PRC, the 300 might be the ticket. Your ammo and bullet choices will be much slimmer with a heavy .284 or a 7 PRC. I’ve seen the latter for $89/box!

Good luck either way. Lots of great factory rifles out there!

ScLowCountry

The original 6.5 was the 260 rem.

New rifles are like new women. Some are more expensive, some are harder to please, and some you just want to get rid of.

Get what you want and what makes you happy. Just know any modern large rifle caliber will kill a deer. Now for talking long range and competition that's a whole another can of worms

WaltL1

New rifles are like new women. Some are more expensive, some are harder to please, and some you just want to get rid of.

Get what you want and what makes you happy. Just know any modern large rifle caliber will kill a deer. Now for talking long range and competition that's a whole another can of worms
Dont forget the 6.5x55. Been around about 100 years longer than the .260 Rem. Great hunting round. I shoot it out of a Ruger M77 Mk.II

WaltL1

As long as it says Ruger 77 MARK I
or MARK II or Ruger HAWKEYE you are in the top slot. :bounce:
I love my MARK II. That thing is tough as nails.
Only complaint is the trigger breaks nice and clean at about..... 6,000 lbs :bounce:
Always meant to put an aftermarket trigger in but just got used to it and never have.
I'm a fan of Ruger weapons.