New rifle???

Baroque Brass

This thread entertains me...

The OP mentioned .308 and 7PRC, for a new rifle.

It took no time for the 6.5 Creedmoor to show up... :LOL:

No one that has a clue about rifle rounds in general should have anything bad to say about the 6.5CM. It'll kill any whitetail on the planet, and do a good job of it.

But it's nothing special.

The thing that I enjoy making fun of is the LEGIONS of folks who have not been messing with rifles for a lifetime, that think simply owning a 6.5CM will make them a good shooter, and deer will simply fall over dead at 500 yards because they pull the trigger.

It just ain't so, but the market sure has convinced a bun wearing bunch of fools that it is...

I'll leave this thread with this.

No matter what else may come and go, as long as humans walk planet earth, there will be .308 and .30'06 ammo to be found.
I agree with everything said. I just had a conversation yesterday about rifle calibers and said if I only had my choice of one caliber, it would be .308. No caliber is going to turn a bad or careless marksman into competent shooter unless he learns how to shoot. As has been said before, it’s all about shot placement. When I worked at the range, a young man showed up to zero a 300 Winmag. I asked him what he was going to hunt and he replied “deer”. I asked him if he needed that much rifle for white tails and he said I want to make sure he goes down no matter where I hit him. He couldn’t shoot, he shot a box of cartridges and they were all over the target.

Having said all that, I like my 6.5. Except for one hog that ran about thirty yards, everything else has been DRT.

Last edited:

rmp

It’s because people get so emotionally attached to inanimate objects trying to justify their decisions. We’re likely all guilty of it in some aspect of life, but nothing brings it out in people like discussions about firearms, optics, and the like.

We should be able to let these things stand on their own merit, if they’re that good, but we can’t. Let’s talk bad about this here …

menhadenman

A 308 is sure hard to beat… the 7 PRC is a great idea but it doesn’t offer much of a difference over the 7 RM unless you want factory ammo to shoot 1,000 yards. My hand loaded 7 RM and 1/8 28” barrel throws missiles that’ll outrun the PRC by 200 fps.

While Hornady markets better than anyone - and keeps ammo on shelves for their new offerings - I’m not so sure the 7 PRC will stick like the other PRCs.

Another nice thing about the 308 beyond versatility and ammo choices is the barrel life is pretty stellar.

Speaking of slick new rifles, the new tikka t3x in 243 win has a 1/8 twist for those heavier 105s. Makes me want one!

rmp

the 7 PRC is a great idea but it doesn’t offer much of a difference over the 7 RM unless you want factory ammo to shoot 1,000 yards.
That’s just it. I have a gunsmith buddy that has been busy lately building 7 PRC’s. So much so that he ended up pulling the 7mag barrel from his own Remington to see why the demand. In his words, “apples to apples, it’s a better mousetrap” for what he does.

Granted, not everyone shoots long distances, but it’s becoming more and more popular. Plus, projectiles are getting longer, not shorter.
Because of our own hobbies, we’re under this illusion that if you own a few rifles, you probably load your own ammo. It’s just not so. While this buddy does enjoy loading, he prefers to shoot in his spare time. He’s a mechanical engineer for a very large company on the full time, gunsmith on the part time, and raising a family. Being able to buy 180 ELD ammo off the shelf for not much money is the ticket.
If all people wanted was faster, you’d see more 28 Nosler, STW’s, RUM’s, and Weatherby’s.

He’ll probably end up building me one on a Kelbly Prometheus.

Yesterday at a hole in the wall shop.

IMG_7643.jpeg

menhadenman

That’s just it. I have a gunsmith buddy that has been busy lately building 7 PRC’s. So much so that he ended up pulling the 7mag barrel from his own Remington to see why the demand. In his words, “apples to apples, it’s a better mousetrap” for what he does.

Granted, not everyone shoots long distances, but it’s becoming more and more popular. Plus, projectiles are getting longer, not shorter.
Because of our own hobbies, we’re under this illusion that if you own a few rifles, you probably load your own ammo. It’s just not so. While this buddy does enjoy loading, he prefers to shoot in his spare time. He’s a mechanical engineer for a very large company on the full time, gunsmith on the part time, and raising a family. Being able to buy 180 ELD ammo off the shelf for not much money is the ticket.
If all people wanted was faster, you’d see more 28 Nosler, STW’s, RUM’s, and Weatherby’s.

He’ll probably end up building me one on a Kelbly Prometheus.

Yesterday at a hole in the wall shop.

View attachment 1270522
It makes sense in that case… but I do wonder how many of the new high BC cartridges (6.8 Western, 7 PRC, a half dozen 243/6mms) will go the way of the super short magnums?

The marketing is pretty daggone good tho! Makes me want a new gun with every G&A issue :LOL:

rmp

It makes sense in that case… but I do wonder how many of the new high BC cartridges (6.8 Western, 7 PRC, a half dozen 243/6mms) will go the way of the super short magnums?

The marketing is pretty daggone good tho! Makes me want a new gun with every G&A issue :LOL:

If only we could look in our crystal ball. I hope they all make it. I’ve got my fair share of obscure cartridges.

From the SAUM to the WSSM, these manufacturers of the rifles and ammo had the upper hand, but instead didn’t support their products. Some didn’t offer much of advantage or nothing noteworthy. Even the WSM’s weren’t supported that well. I was loading ammo for several folks because there was nothing on most shelves within a few years and what was there was expensive. The WSSMs were a joke from the start, to me. Limited platforms, less rounds in the mag, feeding problems, just never made sense.

I give it to Hornady for good marketing as that is part of the equation. As an ammo and component company, keeping people supplied with good products is their job and they did well even through Covid. Can’t fault them for doing a good job. Timing is important too. Fast and flat was the thing until LRF became so affordable and then the focus on high BC projectiles. Lots at play. I don’t know all the in’s and out’s of keeping tight specifications of their reamers and such but looking on their website, there’s a pile of gun manufacturers supporting the Hornady chamberings. That’s good business and I hope other companies learn from it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
for the longest time I thought that the only WSM or WSSM worth having were the .243 and .270. Then we built 6.5s:rolleyes:. Hornady seems to always lean in the reloaders favor or market to them anyway in my view.

I think I have about 100 .300 SAUM or RSAUM loaded cases that need to be pulled and go somewhere. Got 2 boxes of .30 RUM factory loads too...I ain't makin one of either.

rosewood

It’s because people get so emotionally attached to inanimate objects trying to justify their decisions. We’re likely all guilty of it in some aspect of life, but nothing brings it out in people like discussions about firearms, optics, and the like.

We should be able to let these things stand on their own merit, if they’re that good, but we can’t. Let’s talk bad about this here …
This is so true. Regardless of the subject, folks want to convince others to agree with them so they feel like they made the right decision. Whether it is firearms, politics, "climate beliefs", vehicles etc. Some go so far as trying to force others to agree with them so they can feel good about their bad/incorrect/flat out wrong decision/belief. (not talking about firearms on that one, you fill in the blank). :)

Rosewood

bullgator

No one that has a clue about rifle rounds in general should have anything bad to say about the 6.5CM. It'll kill any whitetail on the planet, and do a good job of it.

The thing that I enjoy making fun of is the LEGIONS of folks who have not been messing with rifles for a lifetime, that think simply owning a 6.5CM will make them a good shooter, and deer will simply fall over dead at 500 yards because they pull the trigger.

It just ain't so, but the market sure has convinced a bun wearing bunch of fools that it is...

No matter what else may come and go, as long as humans walk planet earth, there will be .308 and .30'06 ammo to be found.
:bounce:
I agree. That said, the 6.5 PRC is the one I find interesting. The recoil is slightly more than .308, the rifles have twist rates optimized for high BC bullets, and it delivers a fair amount added performance over other non magnum 6.5s.

rmp

for the longest time I thought that the only WSM or WSSM worth having were the .243 and .270. Then we built 6.5s:rolleyes:. Hornady seems to always lean in the reloaders favor or market to them anyway in my view.

I think I have about 100 .300 SAUM or RSAUM loaded cases that need to be pulled and go somewhere. Got 2 boxes of .30 RUM factory loads too...I ain't makin one of either.
I considered a 338 WSM for some time. Building your own definitely changes the game. That and we know how to stockpile components.
I’ve got some new 270 WSM brass I’ll send you if wanted.

rmp

This is so true. Regardless of the subject, folks want to convince others to agree with them so they feel like they made the right decision. Whether it is firearms, politics, "climate beliefs", vehicles etc. Some go so far as trying to force others to agree with them so they can feel good about their bad/incorrect/flat out wrong decision/belief. (not talking about firearms on that one, you fill in the blank). :)

Rosewood
I wasn’t thinking that deeply when I posted but you’re absolutely correct.

SC Hunter

I've got a 6.5 creedmoor, I have a 30-06 that was my grandfathers (a remington jam master) I have a cheap tc dimension 308 that I dont care for and a 260 that my dad has now and it might as well belong to him. I've been pondering spending a decent amount on a new rifle soon and I'm really looking hard at a 30-06 possibly in a Christensen. Like you said 30-06 and 308 ammo will always be around and I like to have excess ammo for whatever rifles I have. I thought about a 300 win mag but then I said "self your stupid you had 2 and sold them both." I am over thinking this really because my little creedmoor is about my favorite gun at the moment.

rosewood

And you can own all 3. Which I do!
Have a 6.5x54 Mannlicher Schoenauer in the safe I have been suppose to sell for a friend, but I haven't gotten around to listing it yet. No idea what that twist rate is. So if you count that, I have 5 different 6.5 cartridges here. :) Counting the 6.5 Grendel.

Rosewood

Last edited:

rosewood

Love it.

Attachments

• IMG_4873.jpg
    IMG_4873.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 18

Darkhorse

I don't really get all this "Man Bun" stuff. I guess I overslept that day.
Do some of us take the measure of a man by the cartridge he shoots? I hope not.
I've always been a magnum fan. Still am. I like shooting my 300 WN mag. and my favorite gun to shoot is my old 7mm mag. I mostly carry my .308 now for local hunting, but when I go back west I'll take my magnum/s.
Personally I'm intrigued by the 6.5 Creedmore and the 7mm PRC, but I'm more likely to get the 6.5 C. I see it like this; Sometime in our life we come to a point where a bow to age is appropriate. And my bow just might be a 6.5 Creedmore.
The cartridge just seems right for the job.

Dub

I don't really get all this "Man Bun" stuff. I guess I overslept that day.
Do some of us take the measure of a man by the cartridge he shoots? I hope not.
I've always been a magnum fan. Still am. I like shooting my 300 WN mag. and my favorite gun to shoot is my old 7mm mag. I mostly carry my .308 now for local hunting, but when I go back west I'll take my magnum/s.
Personally I'm intrigued by the 6.5 Creedmore and the 7mm PRC, but I'm more likely to get the 6.5 C. I see it like this; Sometime in our life we come to a point where a bow to age is appropriate. And my bow just might be a 6.5 Creedmore.
The cartridge just seems right for the job.

Agreed.

i am a fan.

Liberty

The 6.5 Creed has drawn the ire of folks like me who have interacted with people that bought into the hype of it being a legit 600 yard elk cartridge and those that think their rifle can overcome their shooting deficiencies. It’s a cartridge great for target shooting or a hunting cartridge about 1/2 way between a .243 and .308. The 6.5 Swede is a fine cartridge, and the Creed is the same bullet a little faster, not a “ magnum killer”.

Last edited:

rosewood

Agreed.

i am a fan.
We just have fun with those that fell into the hype of it being the end all be all. Great cartridge and I own 2 of them. Just like poking fun.

Reactions: Dub

FlipKing

I've really rooted for the 6.8 Western but it seems to be failing. 6.5cm is the most accurate gun in my safe and kicks less than my .308s. That being said my primary rifle is a .308 shooting 180s. I think if it's not overhyped, the 6.5 is a really solid cartridge. It's just important not to make it out as something it's not.