New rifle???

earlthegoat2

I've given a few folks a hard time about the 6.5CM and their overbearing fanhood.

When I put aside the noise some of the new shooters ginned up about it....and truly looked at the cartridge....couldn't help myself. Fun to shoot.

Don't know if I'll ever hunt with one....but it sure is fun lobbing rounds with it.

The 6.5 CM is so easily accurate that it is downright boring.

Baroque Brass

Tikka T3X is hard to beat. Trigger is adjustable and aftermarket springs are readily available to get the trigger pull to under two pounds. I’d suggest that before zeroing the scope, check the trigger pull and see if it’s suitable. If not, go ahead and remove the action from the stock and lighten the pull. It can be adjusted without disassembly, but it’s kind of aggravating to do. Much easier when it’s taken apart. Take care when reassembling that the front lug seats in before tightening the stock screws to about 30 inch pounds. The two T3Xs I have are good for half inch or better groups all day long.

rosewood

It took years for the 7mm-08 to become reasonably popular. Then the Creedmoor came along and it seems that the 7-08 has taken a nose dive. It's a great round.
And the .260 Remington came out before the Creedmoor and can do everything and more but it didn't have a cool name to launch's it's career.

Rosewood

rosewood

Baroque Brass

The man bun gun got er done this morning on a big doe at about sixty yards. She went down like she was hit by a truck and the chest contents were jello. You fellers that make fun of it shouldn’t be so quick to do so.

Dub

The man bun gun got er done this morning on a big doe at about sixty yards. She went down like she was hit by a truck and the chest contents were jello. You fellers that make fun of it shouldn’t be so quick to do so.

Well done. Congrats on some tasty eats that'll result.

I hope it was a kill.....and not a harvest. :bounce:

Harvesting is for farmers or man-bun wearers.

Baroque Brass

Well done. Congrats on some tasty eats that'll result.

I hope it was a kill.....and not a harvest. :bounce:

Harvesting is for farmers or man-bun wearers.
The gentleman whose property I was on said it was a good clean kill. I’ll leave it at that. For the record, I don’t have enough hair to make a man bun.

Dub

And the .260 Remington came out before the Creedmoor and can do everything and more but it didn't have a cool name to launch's it's career.

Rosewood

Creedmoor does utilize a faster twist and achieves a bit higher pressures. Hurls those 140gr pills with freakish downrange consistency.

I'd give it a slight edge performance edge....with added benefit of huge rifle & ammo availability.

Liberty

I love reloading and speedy bullets, but this week was a Remington 700 BDL shooting 150 Power Points with a 1.5-4 Leupold sitting on top. Results were 1 dead 8 point buck quartering away hard shot by me and 1 dead big doe broadside shot by my son. We make things more complicated that they need to be.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
This thread entertains me...

The OP mentioned .308 and 7PRC, for a new rifle.

It took no time for the 6.5 Creedmoor to show up... :LOL:

No one that has a clue about rifle rounds in general should have anything bad to say about the 6.5CM. It'll kill any whitetail on the planet, and do a good job of it.

But it's nothing special.

The thing that I enjoy making fun of is the LEGIONS of folks who have not been messing with rifles for a lifetime, that think simply owning a 6.5CM will make them a good shooter, and deer will simply fall over dead at 500 yards because they pull the trigger.

It just ain't so, but the market sure has convinced a bun wearing bunch of fools that it is...

I'll leave this thread with this.

No matter what else may come and go, as long as humans walk planet earth, there will be .308 and .30'06 ammo to be found.

transfixer

the .260 has a slight advantage in case capacity but a shorter neck. I think it is also flatter to 700 yds than the Creedmoor.

If they had come up with a "cooler" name for the .260 it would probably have gained some popularity, I honestly believe the "creedmore" tag is the reason that cartridge took off and became popular , that name just makes it sound "special" lol

rosewood

A Ford 'n Chevy tailgate conversation topic for certain.

One of the wonderful things about America.....we have options within our grasp.....for now, at least. :flag:
And you can own all 3. Which I do!

rosewood

Creedmoor does utilize a faster twist and achieves a bit higher pressures.
Depends on gun. The same twist rates are available for both.

rmp

Remington and Sako used 9 twist for the 260 Remington. Not sure on other companies because I don’t have personal experience there. SAAMI twist rate for the 260 was and is a 9” twist. Since the introduction of the Creedmoor with its 8” twist, it doesn’t make much business sense to make or source both 8 and 9 twist .264 barrels thus, 8 twist on both.

IMG_7656.jpg

Edit to say the Sako 75 was a 9 twist. The model 85 went to an 8 twist. I read somewhere that there were 260’s made with 10 twists. Maybe Browning. Nevertheless, the 6.5 Creedmoor was designed for high BC bullets with the 8 twist as the standard.

Last edited: