Adapting to Hardship

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
I was a witness to a scene this morning that is a testimony to how adaptive wildlife can be when faced with hunger.

While traveling on US Hwy 515 in Gilmer County in a steady cold rain (8 am, commuting traffic heavy), I passed two large longbeards casually feeding on grass on the open shoulder of the four lane. They seemed not to be affected at all by the traffic zipping by.

After traveling about one half mile further, on the same shoulder of the hwy. was a young flock of seven or eight turkeys busying themselves with picking blades of grass. They too were oblivious to the traffic speeding by at 70 mph.

After traveling another half mile or so I was surprised to see still another lone, mature gobbler standing tall within 8 feet of the pavement.

Without hunger as a factor, these birds would have likely still been on the roost, hoping for a break in the weather before even flying down. Instead of this they were braving adversity by feeding in a very unlikely place which just happens to be the only source of forage within perhaps miles of their home range. This area is unbroken forest with no fields or pastureland available to provide diversity for the birds.

The light crop of acorns have long since been gone. There is nothing available for them since the earth under the hardwood canopy is covered with inches of dead leaves and with there being no greenery in sight.

These birds did not grow up in a subdivision in Alpharetta or Buford. They are mountain wilderness birds which by nature are very wild and wary. If one doubts this, try outsmarting them.

My assessment of this is that it pays tribute to the adaptability of wild creatures that have fallen on hard times. It is mid winter. No insects available to them, no acorns or soft mast of any kind. Their only source of food in this area is fescue grass along a busy 4-lane hwy where little wildlife is normally observed other than an occasional groundhog. Keep in mind that Fescue is one of the least sought after grasses and under normal conditions is not utilized by anything but cows.

Long live the Wild Turkey!! Just hope that no wild eyed poacher decides to take pot shots at them.

The AmBASSaDEER

This weekend I parked the 4 wheeler in sight of my stand, a buck walk 2 ft from the ATV which had only been park for 20min.:huh: It was behind me and I coundnt get a shot.:banginghe

chinquapin

Mountain turkeys are by far way harder to hunt than the birds in middle and south Ga. They act very different in all their mannerisms. The strong survive,they gotta do what it takes.

ryano

Banned
I was a witness to a scene this morning that is a testimony to how adaptive wildlife can be when faced with hunger.

While traveling on US Hwy 515 in Gilmer County in a steady cold rain (8 am, commuting traffic heavy), I passed two large longbeards casually feeding on grass on the open shoulder of the four lane. They seemed not to be affected at all by the traffic zipping by.

After traveling about one half mile further, on the same shoulder of the hwy. was a young flock of seven or eight turkeys busying themselves with picking blades of grass. They too were oblivious to the traffic speeding by at 70 mph.

After traveling another half mile or so I was surprised to see still another lone, mature gobbler standing tall within 8 feet of the pavement.

Without hunger as a factor, these birds would have likely still been on the roost, hoping for a break in the weather before even flying down. Instead of this they were braving adversity by feeding in a very unlikely place which just happens to be the only source of forage within perhaps miles of their home range. This area is unbroken forest with no fields or pastureland available to provide diversity for the birds.

The light crop of acorns have long since been gone. There is nothing available for them since the earth under the hardwood canopy is covered with inches of dead leaves and with there being no greenery in sight.

These birds did not grow up in a subdivision in Alpharetta or Buford. They are mountain wilderness birds which by nature are very wild and wary. If one doubts this, try outsmarting them.

My assessment of this is that it pays tribute to the adaptability of wild creatures that have fallen on hard times. It is mid winter. No insects available to them, no acorns or soft mast of any kind. Their only source of food in this area is fescue grass along a busy 4-lane hwy where little wildlife is normally observed other than an occasional groundhog. Keep in mind that Fescue is one of the least sought after grasses and under normal conditions is not utilized by anything but cows.

Long live the Wild Turkey!! Just hope that no wild eyed poacher decides to take pot shots at them.

Mr Holt.~I see the same turkeys almost EVERY morning on my way from Blue Ridge to Jasper (to work) and I have tremendously enjoyed it.................They will feed right out to the edge of the highway and not pay traffic any mind whatsoever as long as the traffic is moving..............Ive tried to get pics of these birds but as soon as the vehicle stops, they hightail it to the woods............Ive stopped bothering them and just take joy in seeing them now.

thanks for sharing this story.................I too hope some wild eyed poacher doesnt decide to take pot shots at these fine birds. It has been a pleasure to see them almost every day.

this is the best I could do and its from a cell phone..............not a good pic at all but if you squint real hard you can tell its a turkey.............it was a lone tom out there by himself.

082807_08371.jpg

REDBONE

Ellijay Turkeys

Mr. Holt, I see these birds late every Sunday afternoon on my way down 515 ,heading back to town where I can work another week and get back to my mountain paradise on the weekend. I look for them every week and they haven't disappointed me yet. I saw a small group of hens last week end, a little farther down from the Tom's. They are beautifull.

P

potsticker

If they would do a little sortie down here they would find all the acorns they can carry.