Air vs airless paint sprayers

AccUbonD

Been exploring these these painting methods for awhile now to paint anything from wood to heavy equipment. The graco x5 is what I’ve been leaning towards, but now having second thoughts and wanting to go air.

With money not being a deciding factor what’s yalls opinion on these options? First year would be used a lot then trickle off to only small projects.

All experienced and non experienced opinions are welcomed.

Thanks

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Are you using it in a shop or does it need to be portable? Are you going to be using latex or oil/acetone based paints? How much product will you be using per set up?

AccUbonD

Are you using it in a shop or does it need to be portable? Are you going to be using latex or oil/acetone based paints? How much product will you be using per set up?

1. Portable
2. Latex and enamel (not familiar enough with different paints.)
3. First project is a piece of heavy equipment that manual says takes 17 gallons to paint.

Pig Predator

1. Portable
2. Latex and enamel (not familiar enough with different paints.)
3. First project is a piece of heavy equipment that manual says takes 17 gallons to paint.
I have an x5 and its a good pump. Get the fine mesh gun filters. The biggest tip I use on siding and doors is a .311-.411. Porch pickets and similar items .207-.209.
The sprayer will come with a .515, I've only used that tip for drywall ceilings and walls. Get you a small jar filled with lacquer to keep your tips in.

hopper

I think the x5 is rated for waterbased and mineral spirit type solvents only. Painting the equipment may involve two component epoxies and urethane finishes. I would find out what finishes your going to use then match the sprayer. I would say the x5 for latex around the house and shop and maybe an air assisted with pressure pot for the equipment. I have used the airless with gracos on the job with solvent based coatings but they normally get tossed short after. You can email Graco with specifics they are typically pretty good at responding.

AccUbonD

I think the x5 is rated for waterbased and mineral spirit type solvents only. Painting the equipment may involve two component epoxies and urethane finishes. I would find out what finishes your going to use then match the sprayer. I would say the x5 for latex around the house and shop and maybe an air assisted with pressure pot for the equipment. I have used the airless with gracos on the job with solvent based coatings but they normally get tossed short after. You can email Graco with specifics they are typically pretty good at responding.

This is true, I contacted graco and their x5 will not spray heavy industrial enamels. Having said that you can get water based enamels from Sherman Williams rated for airless sprayers. Also you can thin enamels to spray through airless sprayers best i can tell. I’m going to keep researching.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Been exploring these these painting methods for awhile now to paint anything from wood to heavy equipment. The graco x5 is what I’ve been leaning towards, but now having second thoughts and wanting to go air.

With money not being a deciding factor what’s yalls opinion on these options? First year would be used a lot then trickle off to only small projects.

All experienced and non experienced opinions are welcomed.

Thanks

I was a painting contractor in my college days and I'm a big fan of airless for most applications. If you're going to be spraying a lot of latex paint maintenance is a big issue and like Pig Predator said use a fine mesh filter because no matter how good the latex paint is it's "chunky".

Pig Predator

I run latex, lacquer and oil through mine all the time. I have 3 different hoses to switch out between products but it's not really needed between latex and enamel if you clean it good between uses. I also prime the pump with mineral spirits if it's gonna be over a week between uses.

AccUbonD

I run latex, lacquer and oil through mine all the time. I have 3 different hoses to switch out between products but it's not really needed between latex and enamel if you clean it good between uses. I also prime the pump with mineral spirits if it's gonna be over a week between uses.
Thanks for the info, do you thin the enamel before running through the pump? what tip do you use for the heavy enamels.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Pig Predator

Thanks for the info, do you thin the enamel before running through the pump? what tip do you use for the heavy enamels.
Yes. I think it's around a pint per gallon +/- or just below the first line on the inside of a metal gallon bucket, depending on how thick the product is.