Antlers

Bones

If a deer is Nontypical one year after sheding his antlers and growing new ones could he be a Typical? In the reverse can a deer be Typical one year and Non typical the next?

Bones

Yes to both...I had a 1.5 year old buck on my property in NYS that had a typical 8 point rack with about a 10 inch spread. We let him go that fall after repeated sightings...that Feb he was hit by a car but he survived. He had a broken leg (left front) which healed and a large laceration on his neck.

When he started growing his antlers that year his left antler had 4 nice long tines...which would have made him a 110 inch buck had his right been the same, but it was not, it had three points up and two down...but the main beam was like 7 or 8 inches long (i never did find the shed). The following year he had 4 on one side and 5 on the other and he was a nice one...a buddy shot him and i swore it was not him but the bulge on his leg proved it along with the black line on his neck...The injury he sustained in the car accident...