any suggestions?

bruisedreed

First post here...been lurking a while. I live in SW Virginia and do a ton of back country hunting in the mountains for whitetails. I am mainly a meat hunter and am always looking to learn new things. The last couple years I have been trying to put together some info and line up a hog trip. I have done some scouting in neighboring states and am going to make a GA trip here at some point. I have talked with a couple guys that do "semi guided" spot & stalk hunts and am thinking I may book a hunt with someone on my next trip to scout to maximize my opportunities. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions of where I should be starting on public land if I come for turkey hunt/hog scouting trip in April or in the May public land hog season. I am wide open to suggestions if anyone is willing to share suggestions. Not looking for "secret spots" just general info and knowledge. If anyone is interested I'd be willing to swap intel for a mountain whitetail hunt in VA or go with you here if we can line it up. I have a lot of data in OnX that I have picked up scouting and hunting in the hills here over the last 20 years here.

bany

Virginia is a good looking state. Good luck lining up a hunt down this way. I don’t have much info about hog places in Ga. Reading in these forums helps! DNR can probably help too.

bruisedreed

Virginia is a good looking state. Good luck lining up a hunt down this way. I don’t have much info about hog places in Ga. Reading in these forums helps! DNR can probably help too.
Good call! I will be reaching out there before I head that way. Virginia is a great state. Lacking in public land management unfortunately but beautiful country and lots of public land. Thanks for the reply!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’d look at some of the middle Ga Wma’s . Ocmulgee , Oaky woods , Beaver Dam , horse creek. I’ve killed hogs on all of these except Oaky woods. Beautiful palmetto river swamps that will draw you back . I’ve mostly hunted them in archery season but turkey season would probably be good . Good luck and welcome to GON

bruisedreed

I’d look at some of the middle Ga Wma’s . Ocmulgee , Oaky woods , Beaver Dam , horse creek. I’ve killed hogs on all of these except Oaky woods. Beautiful palmetto river swamps that will draw you back . I’ve mostly hunted them in archery season but turkey season would probably be good . Good luck and welcome to GON
thanks for the suggestions! Would you think boat access be best in any of these? I have a jonboat or kayak as an option too.

antharper

Staff member
thanks for the suggestions! Would you think boat access be best in any of these? I have a jonboat or kayak as an option too.
Yes , It depends a lot on the water level though . Horse creek has a lot of Ocmulgee river footage and Flat tub wma is in same area . Just on other side of river . Same with oaky woods and Ocmulgee wma . River splits them also

antharper

Staff member
Pretty swift current though , I wouldn’t do it in a kayak

Waddams

For public, Clybel has plenty of pigs. I think the spring hog/yote season is next chance at them there.

The lakes on the South Carolina/Georgia border have them too. It's mainly Corp land. Some needs permit access, some doesn't. Boating in can get you to locations land lubbers like me can't reach. There are several lake side parks and camps with boat ramps to stay at too. And some WMAs that have hogs close by too that you can drive too from the camps.

The WMAs mentioned above are loaded with 'em too. Set up camp, start hiking creeks and streams 'til you find sign, then hoof it up to the thickest stuff you can find on the ridges nearby. You'll find 'em eventually.

bruisedreed

For public, Clybel has plenty of pigs. I think the spring hog/yote season is next chance at them there.

The lakes on the South Carolina/Georgia border have them too. It's mainly Corp land. Some needs permit access, some doesn't. Boating in can get you to locations land lubbers like me can't reach. There are several lake side parks and camps with boat ramps to stay at too. And some WMAs that have hogs close by too that you can drive too from the camps.

The WMAs mentioned above are loaded with 'em too. Set up camp, start hiking creeks and streams 'til you find sign, then hoof it up to the thickest stuff you can find on the ridges nearby. You'll find 'em eventually.
Thanks for the info! Exactly what I am looking for. Hiking doesn't scare me a bit. I walked about 300 mi during our deer this year and packed out several. Sometimes you gotta get wher most guys aren't!