Anybody ever hunted Eufaula NWR?

Goose

I got drawn for a hunt at the Eufaula NWR. Just wondering if anybody out there has hunted ducks there and how it went. I'm definitely going, but if anybody has any great yarns to spin about the place and build my expectation up for the trip, I'd appreciate it . . .

Goose

:clap: :p :D :bounce: :cool:

Nick_T

Banned
Got to hunt it a couple of years back, very nice place and a relaxing hunt. The earlier in the season you get pulled the beter off ya are, from what I hear anyhow. We smacked a few woodies but did see gaddies, a pintail, a few geese, and some teal.

I think you'll enjoy yourself. I've got 3 rejection notices in the past 2 weeks, one for Eufaula, one for Butler Is., and my gator rejection finially came in. Begining to wonder if I need to take this personal or somethin, hehehehehe

Nick T

CAL

Goose,
In the seventies I lived within a few miles of the refuge.That is on the Ga.side.Even had a key to the main entrance.Then the ducks and geese were there.I mean by the thousands.So were the federal game wardens too!I put nitrogen on the crops that we planted inside of the dikes.I never hunted there because I am color blind.You can't be color blind and expect to identify birds with colors you are hunting.
After the crops were gathered,the pumps were started and the fields were flooded.Thats when the greatest number of ducks and geese would take up there.Good luck with your hunt.

Dean

It has been a few years

but I have hunted on the GA side a few times. Unless it has changed, it is a lottery for established blinds. There was/is a chart on the wall at the sign-in location that listed the weekly harvest from each blind. You pick a ball with a number on it, then according to your number you get the pick a blind to hunt. I have had some success (brought home a few ducks - gadwalls, woodies) and then I have been shut out. Anyway, as with all public duck hunting you can expect to get frustrated by a few yahoo's sky busting passing ducks at 100 plus yards out!! If you are lucky the weather will be so bad that only a very few serious duck hunters will show, and they (and of course you) will respect the ducks at a distance, not skybust, let the birds work the dekes and have a good shoot. If the weather is not nasty enough and everyone shows up to hunt, just hope you pick a blind that is not close to skybusters, makes for a frustating hunt.

Sorry for the rant, but I have all but given up hunting ducks on public WMA's because of the aforementioned yahoo's.

Hope you have a great hunt.

LKennamer

can be frustrating

Used to hunt it some during college. Had good days and bad days. Best I remember doing was four ducks between two of us, two woodies and two grey ducks. If you can, take a trip down there prior and do some walking, that way you know what blinds you want. You draw the morning of the hunt out of a hat (those who have permits) and they let you pick your blind in order of the draw. The leftovers go to the standbys. It can be very good there if the weather is right.

Huntingdawg

Good hunting

the past couple of years, depending on which blind you pick. I usually go 1 to 2 times a year with buddies, unfortunately I received my 7th year in a row rejection notice. Pay attention to the board for the kills the week before and be sure to ask the warden their opinion of where they would hunt. Some blinds are exclusively woodie spots (5 and 6 off the top of my head), while others will give you a mixture of everything if the weather is right. Hope you have fun, will be there with a buddy on 1/19

bossgobbler

hunted the refuge on the 20th (youth and adult)--lots of ring necks and woodies. Hunted there on the 24th also, and the ducks seemed to have moved on, only saw about 20 woodies and nothing else. very slow hunting there right now.

Goose

Eufaula Hunt

The name should be changed to Eufaula National Wood Duck Refuge . . . hunted it Wednesday morning and we limited out on woodies quick. Sat the rest of the morning in the blind watching woodies fly and didn't see much else. Got a shot off at 1 ringer.

Goose

GADAWGS

Just remember to pick a blind on the river and you should be good to go