Anybody thinking about going back to lead shot

Brad C.

hevi-13 hevi-13 hevi-13 deader deader deader

And humanely kills farther if you do misjudge what would be your maximum lead dead range.

But that is just rubbing in in to the lead is not dead guys. LOL!

Forgive me. I just had to.

Last edited:

01Foreman400

Staff member
This thread is doing fine without me.

I say shoot whatever floats your boat.

I'll stick with Hevi-13. I got a bunch.

hevi-13 hevi-13 hevi-13 deader deader deader

And humanely kills farther if you do misjudge what would be your minimum lead dead range.

But that is just rubbing in in to the lead is dead guys. LOL!

Forgive me. I just had to.

I knew you'd come around. :rofl:

Brad C.

Well I did mess up. That should read your maximum lead dead range, and lead is not dead guys. That lead dead post got the best of me.

Yea the devil made me do it.

hawglips

Banned
I'd venture to say that most folks claiming these long shots with lead 6's have no real idea what pattern they are shooting at that range...just that they got lucky and the turkey died.

No question that this is the case.

bucktail

Just because a horse will get me to my club doesn't mean I'm not gonna take my a/c f150. TSS for me.

Killdee

Yeah I'm tall and long legged and have to streach to step 3', most folks stepped off 50-60 yards is most likely 40 45. When I step off 40 and then range it I'm usually 36-38 yards.

Brad C.

Yeah I'm tall and long legged and have to streach to step 3', most folks stepped off 50-60 yards is most likely 40 45. When I step off 40 and then range it I'm usually 36-38 yards.

I would say that is just about dead nut.

That's why I take a 200' tape measure with me when I shoot my guns. That way I know exactly what my gun will do at 40yds or 120ft. No guessing on my patterns like some.

Gaswamp

gonna see if the Winchester long beards are any good today

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
gonna see if the Winchester long beards are any good today

I bought a box of 3 inch longbeard #5 towards the end of last season.
Patterned them with my 2 shotguns. In one shotgun, the winchester 1300, it was a HUGE improvement with longbeards! Pattern held outstanding at 20 yards through 60+ yards!
The other shotgun, the winchester120, it didn't make a difference. THat shotgun shot longbeard and it's old heavy magnum blend about the same.

Buckman18

I used to shoot Win XR, until I tried a buddy's regular Win XX in same size/shot. To my amazement and joy, the cheaper copper plated lead pattered WAY better than the "heavy/hevi" stuff ever did.
I'm lead from here on out now.

In my new mossberg 535, the cheap grey box win super x patterns better than the XX! XX #5's put 121 in 10 at 40. Cheap super x #5's put 138 in 10 at 40! This is with a carlsons longbeard .660 choke. Btw, Longbeards out perform both, putting 180's in 10 at 40.

Until last year, all I ever hunted with was a full choke and 20 year old #4 supremes in my old 870. When I was in college I bought several boxes that were on clearance, killed plenty of turkeys, and finally ran them out. After reading about patterning guns here and on old gobbler, I started to shoot different shells, bought a tightwad choke for my 870 and started shooting. It's unreal the difference between brands, type, and size shot!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I bought a box of 3 inch longbeard #5 towards the end of last season.
Patterned them with my 2 shotguns. In one shotgun, the winchester 1300, it was a HUGE improvement with longbeards! Pattern held outstanding at 20 yards through 60+ yards!
The other shotgun, the winchester120, it didn't make a difference. THat shotgun shot longbeard and it's old heavy magnum blend about the same.

Sea trout, what choke do u use in your 1300 , I have a tru- glow and the factory extra full I use in mine and both are about the same with the longbeards , just curious , very satisfied with what I use but have been considering trying something different , thanks !

fullstrut

I'm never going back to lead. As long as I can shoot HTL loads.

sea trout

Sea trout, what choke do u use in your 1300 , I have a tru- glow and the factory extra full I use in mine and both are about the same with the longbeards , just curious , very satisfied with what I use but have been considering trying something different , thanks !

My 1300 has tried:
factory full choke
Browning Invector extended turkey choke
HS Strut extended turkey choke
True-glow extended choke

It does the best with True-glow choke. It patterned heavy magnum blend real nice for years. But last year, I didn't change a thing, I just ran some longbeard #5 and WOW! I was Impressed!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Thanks , guess I should just stick with what works , the tru glow and the long beards are probably hard to beat I agree !

sea trout

I hear ya...I've never tried a high end expensive choke, I've always wanted to but the true glow kept killin birds with heavy shot magnum blend for ever. Then I figured the longbeard was priced easy enough to try a box and see what the hype was all about and BAM! Same pattern at an extra 20 yards further back.
That shotgun will have longbeard in it this spring and hope to see how it does on a real fat gobbler!

goshenmountainman

From reading the responses on here, one would assume that if you are shooting lead you are wounding turkeys and HTL kills em every time. The posse is after us boys, they are gonna round us lead shooters up for criminal acts
Or there is a lot of turkey hunters that can't call a bird close enough to take a twenty yard shot. When I started hunting it was with a single shot shotgun that you were lucky if you could put 20 shot in a ten inch circle at twenty yards, had to make sure you were a good caller and woods wise..