Anyone on the gon turkey forum, know whatyear this is?

herb mcclure

It's an anniversary year, for our Spring Gobbler Hunting Seasons; here in the state of Georgia. 1955, was the year Georgia open the-very first Spring gobbler hunting season; and that hunt was on the Blue Ridge Wildlife Area. Up to then,if you hunted, you hunted turkeys in the fall of the year; in extreme-South Georgia.

My old friend the late Arthur Truelove was the hunter who killed that first legal gobbler on that hunt. Arthur also killed the first gobbler taken on several other wildlife areas; as they open for first time.

Arthur was the most knowledgeable woodsman I ever hunted with. The following tribute, I put in my Native Turkey's books.

In Memoriam of Arthur Truelove
March 1, 1923---September 9, 2012

Arthur lived his life hunting like no other hunter I ever knew. He led into the high mountains as a young lad, and he set the standards very high.
Arthur was my mentor, and I idolized his hunting skills.
herb mcclure

Killdee

We that hunt Piedmont NWR together most every year still talk about Author Truelove. Places where his truck was parked are always pointed out and places said to be his favorite places are always sought out. Any stories folks know about his are repeted every year.

whitetailfreak

Good thread Mr. Herb. From what I have heard and read, those who knew Mr. Truelove are better for it. I come from a long line of outdoorsman from the mountains of western North Carolina on what is now the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The traditions of fly fishing, deer, bear and hog hunting run deep in my lineage, but turkey hunters the Laney family were not. I hope to change that.

Last edited:

M Sharpe

And another milestone too Mr. Herb, you've been hunting them for what...59 of those years?? Wasn't it 1956 you started turkey hunting??