Archery Hunting all Year...

Glenn

I have decided that since I have taken a nice buck and also a doe I am going to archery hunt all season. Went last weekend to the lease with my rifle and saw some yearlings and thought about how easy it would be to shoot them with my rifle while they stand in the food plot.

I may still break out the rifle for open country but I will bow hunt 99% of the time with my bow.

Who else Bow hunts year round??

Matt Jones

bow hunt

I quess its nice to have the choice though. Where I hunt it is bow only all year.. Its tough too. I was hunting on the ground this am and had a nice 8 point run up on me and got withn about 15 yrds of me. I could not move or any thing to get a shot. I quess ill keep trying.....

Last edited:

Glenn

Which county do you hunt in Matt?

I found that when I hunt from the ground I like to back myself up to some kind of terrain that I know the deer will not come out of. Of course this is easier said than done :bounce:

After having a very...very...large Bobcat come up behind me last year I will no longer hunt from the ground if I can help it. :speechles

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I am bow hunting all year on the land I hunt in Carroll County. In the past years I have hunted it with a gun, but a subdivision is getting a little too close for comfort. It was kinda frustrating opening week of gun season when I saw a couple does out of bow range but within gun range. But it payed off two days later when I took a doe. It takes getting used to switching back and forth, but I really enjoy it now.

pendy

Bow Season

I n Mn. Bow Season starts in Sept. and runs thru Dec. Hicountryscott say's it is the only way to hunt deer. He is really into it. He got two bucks this season and is very happy. One of them he got here at the farm, the other one was taken in East Chain Mn. which is about 10 miles south of us. :clap: :clap:

Matt Jones

Glen,

I tried to back myself up to an area they are building in but the deer just was not getting close enough. so I moved on down this am and made the mistake of moving too far down. This buck was not alarmed at all of my presents until I tried to turn with him. I was trying to wait for him to pass and try to shoot him at a quartering away shot but he caught my movement and spooked a little. then he moved about 25 yards of me down wind and stood there and stomped at me. I finaly drew my bow but he would not step out from behind the tree. He just out waited me and I had to let the string back down. boy was my arms killing me after that.

BowArrow

I have bowhunted full time for 37 years. I am headed to Sapelo Island Tues. for the Nov. archery hunt on the south end of the island. I have not seen many deer this year although I have arrowed two eight pointers. I need a couple of doe plus a bonus buck on Sapelo.

Sell your rifles and depend on your bow for meat. I just finished a vension burger and my wife is making vension chili for dinner tonight plus for me to take to Sapelo.

kcausey

Banned
Me!

I'm bowhunting all year....kinda makes me a little jealous when i hear about my buddies killing one at 100 yards....but i just think about how easy it is anymore with a rifle....kinda got old to me at 22 years old. Besides, i love my bowhuning anyway. I usually see more deer bowhunting, because im more careful about scent and other things, more cautious about movement, etc.

BowArrow...be thinkin about me at Sapelo this year, i have been the last three years and i call it my home away from home...you either love or hate sapelo, no in between. I have seen prolly 80 deer all together in my three trips. Didn't get drawn this, thankfully, cause i wouldn't have been able to go anyway, new demanding job and no vacation. You can PM me if you need some direction on that place, dont know if you have been before or not. I do know a spot where there are a lot of Piebald's hanging out. so PM me if interested.
KIP

H

HT2

Wow!!!!!!!!!

You youngsters like a challenge.....

I "ADMIRE" ya'll for doin' it...... :clap:

Ain't no way in this world I would ever do that.........I guess with me gettin' older I try to hunt "Smarter"......And, we all know that means easier!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Good Luck to ya'll!!!!!!!! :clap:

1Shot Wally

I hunt with my cousin in Troup County. For the past several years we have seen many bucks that we could have easily killed (or at least shot at) with our rifles. Last year we hunted all season with our bows to make life a little more challenging. We really enjoyed it since killing a deer does not make or break our season. This year we are doing the same. I shot an eleven pointer with my bow on October 9th. If I can sit in the woods on a cold, clear day and see a fine buck walk by without him seeing me, I've had a successful hunt.

When I hunted with a rifle and decided to take a shot, the hunt was pretty much over with. When I hunt with my bow and decide to take a shot, everything is just beginning.

flat foot

Me and my hunting friends decided a long time ago, that if we wanted to just go out and kill somthing, use a gun. If you wanted to become a true woodsman, and learning everything you possiably could about the animal we seek then we would only bowhunt. For the past 4 years my freezer has never gone without either Deer or the abundance of Pork. Now we won't shoot a Buck unless 2.5 years or better, and we have been welcomed to Indiana, WestVirgina, and next year to a 3,200 acre farm In Illinois. With a bow we loose alot of distance, but make up for it in the people and places that allow us to hunt.

Bow Only

You certainly don't bow hunt all year without learning something. To be successful consistently with a bow, you must think like a hunter/predator. Gun hunters can get lucky sometimes, but when a deer is at 10 yards, there is little room for error.

H

HT2

All you Archery Hunters.......

Don't forget to wear your ORANGE VEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

flat foot

I'm not trying to beat up on the gun hunters, shoot I appreciate everything they do for our sport all I am saying, is for my style of hunting I can't see any further than 35 yards at the most. When I shot my limit of deer in one sitting a cold crisp Nov morning it was time to try somthing different. Heck man my Seven year old Daughter enjoys Gun hunting too. I would'nt do anything to jeapordise that, until she comes over.

H

HT2

Bow.....

Down here in JAWGA you gotta wear ORANGEduring firearms season, even if you are huntin' with a bow..... :eek: :eek:

Flat....

I hear ya bud.....

There are very, very few places that I hunt with a range less than 100 yards.....So, I know what you mean......I love huntin' clear cuts, so my bow wouldn't do me much good there.... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

gabowman

Well said 1shotwally. I concur. It isnt about killing any more for me either. One thing for sure....a doe standing out in front of me at 40 yards when I have my .300 doesnt get me near as nervous as she would if I have my bow. It's all about what makes you tick I guess. Whichever way you measure success, whether gun or bow, is what it's all about.

GB