Hello from Cherokee County - new to hunting

Anvil Head

Good ol' tree rat massacrees are always fun and a way to really sharpen shooting, stalking, sign reading skills (while scouting for deer). Sharpens the eye and the mind being in the woods. I prefer hunting squirrels over deer - easier to clean, small gut pile, and easier to get back to truck, all that and cheaper ammo.
Plus if you get to where you can pop them in the eye at 30yds. A deer becomes a much easier target.

Flywater

Good ol' tree rat massacrees are always fun and a way to really sharpen shooting, stalking, sign reading skills (while scouting for deer). Sharpens the eye and the mind being in the woods. I prefer hunting squirrels over deer - easier to clean, small gut pile, and easier to get back to truck, all that and cheaper ammo.
Plus if you get to where you can pop them in the eye at 30yds. A deer becomes a much easier target.
We are looking forward to going out in the woods for some squirrel hunting. Hoping to learn a few things that will be useful for deer next year.
Should be picking up my bow in a couple of weeks and can start practicing.

Flywater

@Flywater sounds like you two are going to enjoy the great outdoors! We hadn't used lemongrass to make calls. Between the quarters and my voice calls we fed our skillet. Well, finding the food sources and returning to them real quietlike another day after scouting fed our skillet. :)
Are you just looking for acorns? Or some other food sources, too?

basshappy

BANNED
Are you just looking for acorns? Or some other food sources, too?

Actually it is more listening than looking.

I like to creep in a bit and be still, give it 10 minutes to listen. Nothing doing, move on a bit further and repeat.

Listening for them scurrying after each other through the trees or across the ground, listening for them eating a nut, listening for them shaking branches and leaves as they jump branches, etc.

Looking for nests in trees, looking for movement.

This time of the year I would look for acorns for sure. They are poppin and droppin.

If you can take 1 day and scout morning to evening and record notes, you can return with knowledge and be set best for a successful hunt.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I 'm just up the road in Waleska . Hunt with a dog . Start after frost due to snakes .

Not trying to put a damper on anything, but don`t ever rely on frost or winter to think you and your dog are safe from venomous snakes. Even on the coldest days they will come out to lay in the sun. If you run up on one even in the dead of winter, it will strike with deadly consequences.

Dan DeBord

Not trying to put a damper on anything, but don`t ever rely on frost or winter to think you and your dog are safe from venomous snakes. Even on the coldest days they will come out to lay in the sun. If you run up on one even in the dead of winter, it will strike with deadly consequences.
Your right, I got a Mt Cur bit last March 21 . 10:00 at nite coon hunting . 43 degrees

oldfella1962

Welcome! Yes air rifles are great for squirrel hunting. They make quality rifles these days no doubt.

HermanMerman

Welcome, sir! Get that boy in the woods ASAP, beat the heck out of playing video games.