ARE HOGS GOOD EATS

LNK

Read a lot on diseases that some hogs could carry..How are our hogs in Georgia ?

sghoghunter

They carry a few but with cooking them to proper temperature it kills all the bad stuff. IMO they aren’t worth wasting time to clean one unless you making sausage then I’d rather buy some already made.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Read a lot on diseases that some hogs could carry..How are our hogs in Georgia ?
In a word, FANTASTIC! I grew up with a poor taste for venison. Always said I didn’t like it but there were never a hog I didn’t love! Then I got into doing venison right and forgot how much I loved hog. I got one in FL a few months ago and remembered why I always said that. I’ve never made sausage, but basically cut it into pork chops, or smoke and crockpot for pulling......it’s fantastic!

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I catch or kill lots of hogs in SW Ga. Give most away, dispose of some big boars, and pick the healthiest looking under 125 or so for myself. The hogs I get have no external parasites, checking livers, they're clear and look healthy. Free pork, but it's labor intensive. Big bars like in the photo, are great any size.

Attachments

• BigBar2.jpg
    BigBar2.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 57

Gbr5pb

Prefer the 150 pounds or less! Them big old ones get a little tough! Don’t want any boars over a 100. But shoot all on sight they are pest

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
What I've noticed about boars being good to eat. If they are not riled up it helps. Like dropping them with one shot to the head when they don't know you're in the world. Butcher and cool the meat asap, in cool running water works for me. Then soaking in Melting ice water for two to three days. I also like to bone out the hams and shoulders. We've used boars up to about 225 when dropped in their tracks with no problem. We butcher and process our own.

Attachments

• butchering.jpg
    butchering.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 55

Hillbilly stalker

The danger with disease when dealing with wild hogs is actually in the handling and cleaning part. Always Always wear rubber/ latex gloves. Keep all their body fluids off you and clean your tools or knives with bleach or hot soapy water. Brucellosis and several other bacterial diseases can be contracted from hogs.....and you don’t want any of them. As with any pork proper temperature while cooking will take care of any internal problems. They are fine eating.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
They are absolutely delicious to me . I haven’t bought sausage in years , and I’m not sure if there’s any better . I like to kill them during the winter when they got plenty to eat . Most areas have unlimited amounts of corn on ground from deer hunters and acorns. This one had been eating cull peanuts for a few months and may of been the best eating one I’ve ever ate , it was a boar . But I have seen a few that stunk so bad I wouldn’t try to eat C2EC2EFD-FDD3-46B9-B52B-6B25B41B12D9.jpegF0EFD8D8-0B58-476D-AF48-8A516D4AA803.jpeg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I do agree that some pig will be so rank, I won’t put a knife on them. The last one I had was a shoat maybe 15-20#. I kill two of them. One was plump and fat, didn’t seem to have a bug on it anywhere. The other was covered in ticks and stunk real bad...real bad! Couldn’t believe it but it was RANK! YOU’LL KNOW!

sleepr71

If I can’t find anything else to eat...I’ll eat one. I catch the most in the Summer,when they come to our Hayfields to root up nut grass. When it’s hot...they usually wallow & stink so bad it’ll make a billy goat hurl. They are just overgrown rodents/pests to us..that breed like crazy ?

You’re going to read all sorts of things on this topic. I suggest you go kill one and try it, and make your own opinion. Other than the rank ones, like @bfriendly mentioned (which are not all that common) they taste like store bought pork to me, even the big ones. After processing them a couple different ways I quarter them up asap and soak them in ice water for a few days. They taste great to me. But again, go try it yourself and form your own opinion.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Btw-killing a pig ain’t the easiest thing to do either. If you put one on the ground take a good look at it from a butcher’s type view. See past the skin, it’s pork. Do you like pork? If you do I think you’ll like it. Ive also put a store bought shoulder in a crock pot and it stunk up the whole house........again, it’s pork and there is nothing really exotic about it. I’ve been praying to see one again soon, but have only seen nominal sign.

frankwright

I have always heard of the really bad smelling ones but luckily I haven't killed one yet.
My friend killed one that was 300lbs. We put a scale on the tractor bucket and lifted it. He made BBQ and it was great.
I always smell a pig when I first kill it and also smell the dressed meat after a few days in the cooler.
Never had a bad smell.
If I ever do, the coyotes can have it!

I’ll guarantee y’all there’s atleast two of these that you couldn’t stand the smell to skin just to see if y’all could eat em

I've killed a few large boars that stunk to high heaven and were just fine. I have friends who have tried eating them from Morgan Co. and said they are HORRIBLE. Luckily for me I've never cooked or eaten one that is rank.