Are there Badgers in Georgia?

toecheese

I live on six acres in a Stockbridge down in the woods surrounded by at least 200 acres of forest. Just ten minutes ago at around 8:45 pm I hear my dog going crazy in the woods so I come out to investigate. I then hear a weird, dry grunt growl type of noise and then my dog starts crying bloody murder as if he just bit off more than he can chew. My dog is ok and ran back to me unharmed. This is the exact sound that I heard-
. It's the noise that a badger makes. Am I going crazy or is this a possibility? Every now and then I hear crazy stuff out here but this sound can be verified by two other people that came outside with me when we heard the commotion. Anyone else ever spot any large weasels out here?

jhanie79

Stumbled upon this thread after having three different family members claim they have seen a badger in the area of East atlanta rd and old Conyers rd..

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
No badgers in GA or anywhere closer to GA than Indiana or Missouri.

furtaker

I hear they're one animal you don't want to mess with or try to bare hand when they're caught in a leg hold trap.

earlthegoat2

Coulda been a porcupine?

If the dog had bitten off more than it could chew with a porcupine I would think there would be evidence of such.

I have found badgers are much less viscous and ferocious than pop culture would have you believe. Sure, one in a leg trap is one thing but I have shewed them out of barns and even my grandmothers kitchen once and all they did was look at me crooked on their way out.

No different than a woodchuck (groundhog) or a similar varmint.

chase870

Possum Sox
I shot a big badger in Canada one year and it got into a gopher hole he had been digging. I wasn't sure he was dead so I had to work on finding a volunteer to go get the badger out of the hole with a steel rake while I watched from the safety of the truck

B. White

I spent 50 something years in the area in the OP, before it turned into subdivisions and trying to become the second coming of Clayton County. Ain't no badgers or porcupines. As folks posted years ago, coon is the correct answer.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Well, there have been zebras and African lions found in GA. I doubt if that's indicative of a population, though...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Have you seen porcupines in Ga ?
There was a thread on here a couple years ago where people saw groundhogs and seriously swore they saw porcupines in GA. There is an active thread on here now where the same sort of people see and hear bigfoot.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
There was a thread on here a couple years ago where people saw groundhogs and seriously swore they saw porcupines in GA. There is an active thread on here now where the same sort of people see and hear bigfoot.

I don’t doubt there might be a few porcupines in Ga. But I doubt there is a sustainable population.