Are you bear hunting opening bow?

Are you bear hunting?

• Yes, private.

• Yes, public.

• Nope.

Results are only viewable after voting.

BigBeaver

I will probably be hunting only during the week due to 2 boys playing football and them wanting to deer hunt on weekends. Since this is my first year bear hunting, I don't feel like this is the time to be dragging them through the mountains.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Most likely barring a funky wind direction.

Sautee Ridgerunner

This is great to hear. I am mainly taking up bear hunting so that I can have a more diverse freezer when it comes to game meat, and to learn something new. Ive heard many folks say they like it and many say they hate it. I am almost certain that the ones that hated it had meat that was not handled properly. Same with deer. I have eaten venison that someone else had killed, processed (or ha it processed), and cooked that I just did not like, at all. But I have never had any that I had taken care of that did not come out tasting great. Therefore, I will not try bear until I kill, process, and cook it myself.... and then I will draw my conclusion on weather bear meat is good or not.... I feel like I may already know the answer though.

We feel bear is the best wild meat out there. When I was young and didnt know better I used to grill the backstraps med rare like a deer. Absolutely amazing. Guess Im lucky I never got the trichinosis.

WoodlandScout82

Why did your wife say that? My woman and her mom both told me I should abandon deer hunting all together for bear hunting. They like the meat so so so much more than deer; I mean they love deer meat, but they haven't stopped talking about bear meat. And she wants a bear rug/blanket for my 1 year old, her first offspring. I am sure my ten year old would have fun with it too. lol
She wasn't too happy with me skinning and quartering the one I got last year on the kitchen floor...I put a tarp down at least ?

Christian hughey

Well I'm hooked and no questions will be in the hills opening weekend. Good luck everyone! Post some good stories. Looks to be a good fruit and acorn crop from what I'm seeing.

WoodlandScout82

I'll definitely be at Cohutta as it's the only place I've cared to hunt for the past 4 years. I still want to know who it was that walked in on me at 8:30 where I was sitting before daylight, set up 50 yards away then claimed that they were there before daylight and I walked in on them on the last day of the gun hunt ?. And who was it that kept calling to my turkey decoys after watching them sit dead still for 5 minutes and I yelled at them that they were decoys?. Which one of you was it?

Last edited: