baby pigs

mailman6

when you kill a sow that is nursing little babie piglets, does another sow in the group raise them or are they just abandoned. How old do they have to be to take care of themselves?

CAL

when you kill a sow that is nursing little babie piglets, does another sow in the group raise them or are they just abandoned. How old do they have to be to take care of themselves?

Quite possible another sow will raise them.Have seen this in domestic hogs when in the hog business.The piglets will worry a living sow that is milking till she submits many times.Also would wean piglets of domestic hogs at 8 weeks.I think feral hogs is a complete different story.They seem many times more tough than domestic hogs to me.
Given the chance,I will shoot a sow with piglets.They will mill around the sow and get killed also.If nothing else it gives a coyote or bobcat a chance to catch the piglets and get rid of them too.

I know how inhumane this sounds but our whole idea from the standpoint of a landowner is to be rid of wild feral hogs.Around me we take any way we can short of poison.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Quite possible another sow will raise them.Have seen this in domestic hogs when in the hog business.The piglets will worry a living sow that is milking till she submits many times.Also would wean piglets of domestic hogs at 8 weeks.I think feral hogs is a complete different story.They seem many times more tough than domestic hogs to me.
Given the chance,I will shoot a sow with piglets.They will mill around the sow and get killed also.If nothing else it gives a coyote or bobcat a chance to catch the piglets and get rid of them too.

I know how inhumane this sounds but our whole idea from the standpoint of a landowner is to be rid of wild feral hogs.Around me we take any way we can short of poison.

Cal, mine and your opinion on them is at opposite sides of the spectrum............having said that, I finding absolutely Nothing Inhumane, nor rude, nor anything negative in anyway about how that sounds.............the only problem you have is too many pigs!! Anyone who doesn't get that needs to study the issue just a little:pop:

Wish I could take a tractor trailer load(or three) off your property and take them to Pinelog:cheers:

Sorry to get :offtopic: mailman, but I think they would find another sowrce for survival.................at least I hope so. Regardless, I am glad I did not even shoot at that sow yesterday. Not only did we find the piglet, but there was a shoat right beside the bed that was dead..........could not tell why as there was no blood on it. We did find a few spots of blood about 50 yards away:huh:

scottja

I asked this same question of a wildlife biologist some time ago. The answer is yes, the piglets will take up with another sow in the group.

starvin

Cal, mine and your opinion on them is at opposite sides of the spectrum............having said that, I finding absolutely Nothing Inhumane, nor rude, nor anything negative in anyway about how that sounds.............the only problem you have is too many pigs!! Anyone who doesn't get that needs to study the issue just a little:pop:

Wish I could take a tractor trailer load(or three) off your property and take them to Pinelog:cheers:

Sorry to get :offtopic: mailman, but I think they would find another sowrce for survival.................at least I hope so. Regardless, I am glad I did not even shoot at that sow yesterday. Not only did we find the piglet, but there was a shoat right beside the bed that was dead..........could not tell why as there was no blood on it. We did find a few spots of blood about 50 yards away:huh:

Im in the same boat with BF, for those of you who need exterminaton of the land destroyers, we in other parts would love the oppertunity to have that problem or similar.
we need more to hunt and eat. But no one if they understood the problem would be upset. I think that way anyway.

Public Land Prowler

Other sows will raise them..I don't know if they will let them milk,but I do know they will let them tag along in the herd if they are old enough to feed for themselves..mama pigs are loving..when the sow comes in heat,boars will run off the younger boars that they feel are competition..younger males will make bachelor groups..the sow will keep her pigs with her,and other pigs in her group as well...when she has a new batch of piglets she will withdraw,but usually will soon join back with the group as soon as those piglets can travel..increasing the distance she drags them around as they grow..If things are rough the sow will run all others off to make sure her own are provided for....I try not to shoot sows with pigs under 20#...they need to be that big just to have a sliver of a chance of surviving against coyotes..

scoggins

I asked this same question of a wildlife biologist some time ago. The answer is yes, the piglets will take up with another sow in the group.

Not if they get a case of "accute" lead poisoning first!

from a land owner/ farming stand point ....

KILL 'EM ALLLL!!!!!!!

seaweaver

I shot 2 sows in as many days and on the 3rd day the neighbor saw one sow cross the road w/ far too many piglets in tow.
cw

Okie Hog

Sows will often care for another sows pigs. i have seen sows running with more pigs than the sow could have birthed. Couple of years ago i killed a big spotted sow that had 8 parti-colored pigs. A few days later is saw a black sow running with six solid black pigs and 8 parti-colored pig.

smitty

I've caught several hogs with piglets in my trap, trying to shoot all grown ones had several piglets escape. A few weeks later I had reset the trap and caught several more grown ones and 5 more piglets with 2 being the ones that got away before.Saftey is in numbers and so those piglets always looking for some company.Also saw a 150 lb boar lead a group of piglets around after I shot there mama with a 30 yard turkey load

BFR300

I'm no expert but I have seen sows on our place appearing to "care for" different sized piglets some of which I don't think were her's originally. As far as piglet hanging with Boars, there were 6-8 small small piglets with the boar pictured in my avatar. Nature is funny.

Catdaddy SC

I pass on nursing sows until the little ones are eating corn for 2 weeks or more. Then they will come to the feeder everyday. I take them as they get big enough to eat.