Bainbridge - New Monkey Breeding Facility

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Weren't those ones that they no longer used for experiments to give a stress free environment to live out their remaining days.
Yeah, I wouldn't consider it a stress free enviroment but definitely better than living in a cage.

sinclair1

Yeah, I wouldn't consider it a stress free enviroment but definitely better than living in a cage.
I welded monkey cages at work for a testing facility in midtown atl. I was always scared doing the repairs. They went in a kiln first but back then was the Aids era.
I decided pretty quick to get into distribution for my Lungs sake

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I welded monkey cages at work for a testing facility in midtown atl. I was always scared doing the repairs. They went in a kiln first but back then was the Aids era.
I decided pretty quick to get into distribution for my Lungs sake
Aids and hepatitis among others are still rampant among the ape community. I wouldn't want to work anywhere around any of them.

HermanMerman

we had to go get the one that got electrocuted, it was a rhesus monkey and he was crispy.

Story validated! I always wondered if he was pulling my leg.

Lukikus2

What could possibly go wrong? :rofl:

PETA not winning. Non native animal. Very vicious animal. No closed season.

psedna

UAEC
The north ga had 300k - These guys are planning for 30,00 monkeys!

County withdrew tax incentives, I told you I was not pulling your leg - Google it.

Project folks say they are on a tight timeline, and will move forward while reassuring public the risks are controlled.

Will be interesting to watch how this plays out...

I am not a PETA lover, but man this is stretching my tolerance somewhat with what they are planning....

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
There is an Island in S.C. called Morgan Island.

Few people in South Carolina know there’s a sea island approximately 10 miles from beautiful downtown Beaufort that was once an active research laboratory. Today, however, the property is just merely the home of the island’s former research subjects: an entire colony of free-range Rhesus monkeys that’s now grown to approximately 4,000 strong.

The monkeys, one of only two colonies of Rhesus monkeys in the U.S., were brought to Morgan Island in the 1970s from Puerto Rico as part of laboratory research projects that no longer exist.

Little known South Carolina historical fact - The Okatie Monkey Farm.

I was an internal auditor for the March of Dimes when they sold off the property to a developer. My boss the Financial VP came to Savannah for the closing and had me meet him there. We drove out to the farm to check it out. The lab building was still there with all the test tubes, Bunsen burners etc. It looked like when Salk created the vaccine they just shut everything down and walked away.

DannyW

Very vicious animal.
You got that right. I saw a documentary a few years ago about pet chimpanzees going crazy for no apparent reason. They are strong and almost impossible for a human to fight without weapons.

They go for the head and face with their fangs. They literally tear your face off...some of the people who survived were horribly disfigured.

Pet chimp? No thanks!

HIGH COUNTRY

Saw article in AJC this morning, there is now legal action in this situation. I think it may be around the county withdrawing the huge tax incentives.

Question - Can the monkeys form a union, and have their own legal representation? I mean, there is strength in numbers - about 30,000 of them in fact! They are a major stakeholder in all this, and they have rights too... (ha)

This is going to be interesting to watch!

SarahFair

I'm no advocate for PETA, but I still think it's sad :huh:

HIGH COUNTRY

I cant wait to see details, how many per dorm room and building/etc.

How do they transport them there.

What happens if they dont want to do their job, ie you know. Will they give them supplements?

Do they get rewards for high performance?

And the list goes on and on, could even get in trouble here if you think too much about it...

Good stuff for late night comedy host too!

I am thinking about doing a Planet of the Apes movie day there, show the movies all day long - sell stuff monkeys, have food catered.

Obviously I am a trouble maker at heart...