Beagle puppy training?

Skinin&Grinin

Well I got my first pup last week!
Male beagle pup 8 weeks today,any advice on training for deer would be great!
I'm fairly new to dog hunting this will be my second season and my first dog. His dad has a real cold nose and mom a good trail dog.
I bought some deer scent made for training and drug it around the yard today on sock. I put him on it where I started and he didn't do much with it other than lick where I squirted some of it. I let him play with the sock that had the scent on it for a while then took it from him and put him back on the start of the trail. He showed more interest in the trail this time but quickly went back to playing.
Any other advice would be great!

I found that, getting some fresh deer legs preferably the back ones where the scent glands are and let them gnaw on them. Also a fresh hide that I drag around and let them follow it. Plus it doesnt hurt to have a good slow trail dog to put them with.

tchook21

deer legs are a good idea and also get him in the woods with dogs that will run! he will figure it out he should pick it right up!

jhg1966

Deer legs in the yard and let follow seasoned dogs in the woods works great. Trained several in this manner myself in the past.

Lsp35

Let him be a puppy I start mine at 4 or 5 months on a tame rabbit in the yard then take them when I run my big dogs in the fall

oldways

X2 let him be a puppy bond with him and put some handle on him so when you call him he'll come to you. If mom and dad hunt already he probably has it in him already. Don't get too upset with him and let him play some now hes still young. ;)

Lsp35

I have 2 beagles that we're 1.5 years old last year could not run the year before cause of work schedule my wife and kids spoiled them the whole time any ways turned them out last year for the first time it was like they had been doing it there whole life I have nine beagles I work on teaching them to cOme when I call them that's about it if it's in there blood just take them with other dogs when he's ready I promise u he will go spoil him rotten I do all of mine they will hunt there hearts out for u

Nannyman

Let him be a puppy I start mine at 4 or 5 months on a tame rabbit in the yard then take them when I run my big dogs in the fall

I like training on rabbits first. Teaches them to use their nose. Very easy to switch to deer after. The best dogs almost always are trained on rabbits first.
I dont, however, like to wait. I start mine at 5 weeks. Make training about "Food and Fun".

John