Lost Beagle

Doug73

Took Four of my beagles to sandy hills wildlife management in Taylor county. Turned loose and they jumped a rabbit. Ran it for awhile really good race but all at once they stopped silence after about 20 minutes I started driving around hunting for dogs. I’m 75 and can’t do a lot of walking. After awhile they started coming in but only 3 of the 4. They didn’t come in together 5 are more minutes apart. My missing beagle a 6 year old never came back. I have hunted put flyer’s out and stopped and talked to local people. What has happened to my dog. Coyotes, Snakes ??

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Took Four of my beagles to sandy hills wildlife management in Taylor county. Turned loose and they jumped a rabbit. Ran it for awhile really good race but all at once they stopped silence after about 20 minutes I started driving around hunting for dogs. I’m 75 and can’t do a lot of walking. After awhile they started coming in but only 3 of the 4. They didn’t come in together 5 are more minutes apart. My missing beagle a 6 year old never came back. I have hunted put flyer’s out and stopped and talked to local people. What has happened to my dog. Coyotes, Snakes ??
Coyotes most likely, had coyotes head off a beagle pack and take the rabbit several times. Dogs come back to your feet or under the truck not eager to go back out. The dog probably ran rabbits out of instinct and attracted coyotes.

I lost a dog on a WMA and started visiting local houses. I drove up on kids playing with my dog. My collar with ID plate was gone. I didn’t ask any questions, just called my dog and stated it was mine. I’m certain had I not seen the dog I never would have heard from them.

specialk

Good luck, hope you find your dog..

krizia829

A old fellow I used to rabbit hunt with would hang one of his used shirts in a tree when he lost a dog. More times than one, the dog would be waiting under the shirt when we checked later. Good luck in finding your dog.
We have a friend, now in his 90's, who also leaves his jacket or vest but on the ground when he loses a dog during a bird hunt and they always come right back. I hope you can find your dog!

specialk

most dogs will find there way to to where you turned out unless they end up at a humans house.....

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
A old fellow I used to rabbit hunt with would hang one of his used shirts in a tree when he lost a dog. More times than one, the dog would be waiting under the shirt when we checked later. Good luck in finding your dog.

We have a friend, now in his 90's, who also leaves his jacket or vest but on the ground when he loses a dog during a bird hunt and they always come right back. I hope you can find your dog!

This is both great advice above as I remember back 50-60 years years ago, a couple of older guys that always hunted quail and they also had some beagles as they rabbit hunted together from time to time. If they lost a dog, they would also hang an old shirt or either overalls of theirs on a tree limb about 3 feet off of the ground. It always seem to work for them as their dogs apparently could smell their scent and I never remember them loosing a dog over 24 hours time either.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
What area , I see you are from Columbus ! Good luck finding your dog . I’m in a lease with several Beaglers and they have had 1 go missing and one that some wild dogs or just free yard mutts attacked and killed