Beaver issue!!! May have a new project! Update!!!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I have a beaver problem! There is a drainage ditch around the "back 40" at my place, and he keeps damming it up in a couple of places. I have torn his dams out two or three times this year, and I am about sick of him... ?

I was not looking forward to having to buy all the gear and learn a whole new trappin' mission, but I may not have to...

I've been researching beaver snares, and it looks like $50.00 will get me two dozen snares, a roll of wire, some lure, and a pair of lineman pliers from Brian at Southern Snares.

That seems reasonable enough!

Setting snares seems simple enough, so now all I gotta do is find his travel routes through the jungle of wait a minute vines and wax myrtle, and set a few there and at his dam sites...

It's that simple, ain't it?? :bounce:

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Snares are definitely the ticket, big bang for the buck.

sportsman94

I would also buy a cable cutter so you can reuse the components of the snare after you’re done catching him. Good luck, betting you’ll be a quick study.

buckpasser

If I was brand new to it Id buy one 330 coni RR. Set in in the swim channel or a good slide and enjoy the show. Maybe I’m the only one, but snares are the most difficult method of killing beavers for me. Drowning rigs on a dam break are easiest. You can definitely remove them with snares, but they will usually be alive when you arrive and loop size is critical.

longrangedog

If you set in a travel path you'll catch them. Had an issue in a field with Etowah river frontage in Bartow County. The beaver feasted on whatever was planted. Corn, soybeans, or cotton were clear cut in a semicircle where the path came from the river thru the cane patches. Be sure not to anchor to any saplings or they'll get cut down. Once the bever is in the snare he'll gnaw down everything around. Just be careful to set the snare in the proximity to the water required by the trapping regs.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
If I was brand new to it Id buy one 330 coni RR. Set in in the swim channel or a good slide and enjoy the show. Maybe I’m the only one, but snares are the most difficult method of killing beavers for me. Drowning rigs on a dam break are easiest. You can definitely remove them with snares, but they will usually be alive when you arrive and loop size is critical.

I feel pretty good about setting a snare properly. I don't have enough water to drown one, it's a small ditch. It's also where I can check em in five minutes before I go to work.

If he's still alive, a Stinger outta the Single Six will take care of that!.. ?

I'm just trying to catch a beaver, not become a Beaver Trapper, though I am aware of the slippery slope!! :rofl:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I feel pretty good about setting a snare properly. I don't have enough water to drown one, it's a small ditch. It's also where I can check em in five minutes before I go to work.

If he's still alive, a Stinger outta the Single Six will take care of that!.. ?

I'm just trying to catch a beaver, not become a Beaver Trapper, though I am aware of the slippery slope!! :rofl:
Enough talk ! Go get that beaver!
I would put a cell camera on the snare. Save trouble of going to check it. But hey what do I know. ?

sportsman94

My experience is the same. I’ve caught a fair amount in snares, but I am far less confident in their ability to catch than my usual methods. I know it’s just a lack of confidence, but I seem to have a high rate of knock downs or loop pulled down small with no animal. I bought a bunch of cable and snare supplies this year and hope to give an honest shot in figuring out beaver snaring this fall.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
My experience is the same. I’ve caught a fair amount in snares, but I am far less confident in their ability to catch than my usual methods. I know it’s just a lack of confidence, but I seem to have a high rate of knock downs or loop pulled down small with no animal. I bought a bunch of cable and snare supplies this year and hope to give an honest shot in figuring out beaver snaring this fall.

Well, I have zero knowledge of any beaver trappin', so I am gonna give the snares a shot. Easy to set, cheap, and apparently effective from what I have researched.

The places I have in mind are terrible to get into, so the easier, simpler, and less "stuff" involved the better.

This may wind up being a total fail, but I feel pretty good about it. In any case, I will probably catch some chiggers, and get a moccasin hide or two outta the deal.

Might even catch a beaver!

WOODIE13

Well, I have zero knowledge of any beaver trappin', so I am gonna give the snares a shot. Easy to set, cheap, and apparently effective from what I have researched.

The places I have in mind are terrible to get into, so the easier, simpler, and less "stuff" involved the better.

This may wind up being a total fail, but I feel pretty good about it. In any case, I will probably catch some chiggers, and get a moccasin hide or two outta the deal.

Might even catch a beaver!
Loop 2 inches above the ground, think my buddy said a 10 to 12" loop, use 9 gauge wire for a hanger, he will set 3 to 4 on a trail and use earth anchors or tie them to a big tree.

Most of his are body catches

I went with him a couple times to check and set them, far from an expert though.

WOODIE13

Have to show us pics of the set and of the catches

WOODIE13