Benefits of using a squirrel dog??

Heath

It depends on what your hunting preference is. Some people are dog hunters, some are not. If I could I would even hunt sprang lizards with a dog. I just enjoy hunting with a dog more than still hunting.

As much as I love eating squirrels I don't really worry about killing more. I love being out in the woods watching my dog work. As far as killing squirrels though, I have seen when still hunting was more productive. I have also seen it more productive with a dog. I would still rather be out with a dog. Just my preference.

I’d say that’s the way most experienced dog men feel. I have easy hunts occasionally but I question my sanity for hunting a dog more often. I can kill far more with far fewer headaches without a dog involved.

Doug B.

I used to organize youth hunts with guys that had good dogs, and I sure had a good time watching kids and dogs work together...especially kids who were hunting for the first time.

I would still be doing those hunts,but liability insurance for something like that is very expensive.

As far as bagging squirrels,a good stillhunter will probably bring home more meat.There are dogs that are good and fast enough to fill a tailgate in short order, though.Small kids can't keep up with those dogs and at 68, I can't either.?
I went to the first hunt that Dave did with a Norwegian Elkhound that I had in Hogansville. It was a first class hunt! I wish we could do a lot more of them! I watched kids that had never been in the woods have a great time! I'm sure they will never forget it!

crackerdave

I went to the first hunt that Dave did with a Norwegian Elkhound that I had in Hogansville. It was a first class hunt! I wish we could do a lot more of them! I watched kids that had never been in the woods have a great time! I'm sure they will never forget it!
I wish we could do more hunts like that,too.That was a good one!
I quit when I realized that if an accident occurred,I could lose everything I have, and insurance is out of my reach.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I quit when I realized that if an accident occurred,I could lose everything I have, and insurance is out of my reach.

we got the game warden involved in it, and had them support the kids hunt. They would bring out shotguns, skeet throwers, turkey targets, sqwerl targets, and supply the shells for the kids.

We would supply hot dogs, door prizes, drinks, the dogs and people to work the dogs.
The DNR would let us use Dawson Forest and tell us what areas we could hunt. We would take the kids and the DNR would give a lesson in gun safety, and conduct the target shooting. We would feed them, divide them up into groups and go hunting.

You have never seen a kid have as much fun as those youngins. Tracking a dog thru the woods, spotting the sqwerls and having a shot at them.

Those were some fun times. I haven't been able to do that since my cancer scare, but I would love to do it again when I am able to

crackerdave

we got the game warden involved in it, and had them support the kids hunt. They would bring out shotguns, skeet throwers, turkey targets, sqwerl targets, and supply the shells for the kids.

We would supply hot dogs, door prizes, drinks, the dogs and people to work the dogs.
The DNR would let us use Dawson Forest and tell us what areas we could hunt. We would take the kids and the DNR would give a lesson in gun safety, and conduct the target shooting. We would feed them, divide them up into groups and go hunting.

You have never seen a kid have as much fun as those youngins. Tracking a dog thru the woods, spotting the sqwerls and having a shot at them.

Those were some fun times. I haven't been able to do that since my cancer scare, but I would love to do it again when I am able to
I hope you can!

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I am not a lawyer but I believe in Georgia as long as you are not charging for the event / use of your land - you cant be sued. I held skeet shoots, riding 4 wheelers, bon fire and fireworks in my pasture for years for my son on his bday with all of his buddies, it was an all day and half the night event. At least that is the information I was given when I checked on liability issues. If you enjoyed what you once did, it is worth checking into for clarification.

crackerdave

I am not a lawyer but I believe in Georgia as long as you are not charging for the event / use of your land - you cant be sued. I held skeet shoots, riding 4 wheelers, bon fire and fireworks in my pasture for years for my son on his bday with all of his buddies, it was an all day and half the night event. At least that is the information I was given when I checked on liability issues. If you enjoyed what you once did, it is worth checking into for clarification.
Maybe I will go talk to the rangers at West Point WMA and see if we could work together on a hunt with some local kids around the Lagrange area.
It's very rewarding to see them have such fun....especially the ones who experienced it for the first time.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Maybe I will go talk to the rangers at West Point WMA and see if we could work together on a hunt with some local kids around the Lagrange area.
It's very rewarding to see them have such fun....especially the ones who experienced it for the first time.
Keep the Corps of Engineers in mind, too. I’ve volunteered for many of the disabled deer hunts where the Corps have let them use a campground on West Point lake that was closed for the winter. I will volunteer to help you in any way.

Hillbilly stalker

Never had a problem with my dog giving me a headache. My dogs handle well and listen and they produce. I’d love to have the opportunity to take a couple of y’all during the Month of November around here. I know it’s a lot different than in the mountains...I’ve done both. But I bet I could change your mind in a 2 hour hunt. If my dog don’t tree it, he doesn’t get it. And I don’t kill 2 or 3 out of the same tree, bust nest or any of that garbage.. The right dogs(s) can make a HUGE difference.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Never had a problem with my dog giving me a headache. My dogs handle well and listen and they produce. I’d love to have the opportunity to take a couple of y’all during the Month of November around here. I know it’s a lot different than in the mountains...I’ve done both. But I bet I could change your mind in a 2 hour hunt. If my dog don’t tree it, he doesn’t get it. And I don’t kill 2 or 3 out of the same tree, bust nest or any of that garbage.. The right dogs(s) can make a HUGE difference.
I’d like to join - I’ve never squirrel hired with a dog. Coon and rabbit yes, so I imagine it’s just as fun.

crackerdave

Keep the Corps of Engineers in mind, too. I’ve volunteered for many of the disabled deer hunts where the Corps have let them use a campground on West Point lake that was closed for the winter. I will volunteer to help you in any way.
Thank you,sir! I will need all the help I can get.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Cracker.... I would be glad to bring a solid dog if you get it lined up, or help with anything else you may need

Doug B.

My dogs may not tree as many squirrels as others but they are fun to hunt. They hunt where I want them to and when I get ready to go home I don't have to worry about where my dogs are. They will come get in the truck when I tell them to. They mind way better than most kids.