Best garden in years!!

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
with all the rain, rather cool temperatures!!...............not only the vegetables, but the flower gardens..........Dahlias just started bloomin', Lilly's and Crocosmia are wide open!!!.........only bad thing..........the Jap beatles are out of the ground. :(

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Glad to hear yours is doing well mine is too alredy picked 5 bushels of 1/2 runners last week and I got to pick em again this week. Maters got a little bottom rot but theey are ok too. More squash and cucumbers than We can give away or eat.

BTW since we are on the subject, Im growing broccoli and dont really know what Im doing can anybody tell me when you cut the mature broccoli off of the stalik will it continue to bear or will it stop?

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Best Garden

I much prefer rain once per week than once or twice a day which has been our recent experience.

Too much rain leaches fertilizer, discourages good polination, and promotes disease activity on tomatoes and beans.

All day cloudiness causes plants to elongate, which is the same effect that you get when you try to grow crops in the shade. Veggies like full sunlight and so do I.

Branch: The edible part of Broccoli (the head) is in reality the flower. It should be harvested when the little individual blossoms that make up the head are still in the bud stage. If you wait until the little individual flowers open, quality of the head drops off noticeably. Once the main head is harvested, it will continue to produce smaller heads for as long as the weather is relatively cool. I would expect that the July weather will interfere with your having a follow up crop.

Vernon

Branchminnow

Thank Mr. Holt
I planted some early and waited to long ............the prettiest yellow flowers popped out and the first cutting was gone .......I cut off all the mature growth and since then have gotten a few heads that were good

I planted some very late that are just now beginning to form maybe they will be good ::; later on.

dixie

Garden

now minnow, Vernon didn't tell you this, BUT it's common knowledge that all veggies in a garden taste better if you've plowed that garden with a white mule. Vernon, do you remember that one? LOL

dutchman

coon dawg said:
with all the rain, rather cool temperatures!!...............not only the vegetables, but the flower gardens..........Dahlias just started bloomin', Lilly's and Crocosmia are wide open!!!.........only bad thing..........the Jap beatles are out of the ground. :(

Show us some pictures.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
dutchman...........

unfortunatley, I have neither a digital camera or a scanner........... :(

Branchminnow

Where you from Comer? is that east of nowhere or west of Jasper? ::ke:

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

Branchminnow said:
Where you from Comer? is that east of nowhere or west of Jasper? ::ke:
I live 4 miles outside of the small town of Comer, on the Lexington side............19 miles NE of UGA........ :cheers:

Branchminnow

coon dawg said:
I live 4 miles outside of the small town of Comer, on the Lexington side............19 miles NE of UGA........ :cheers:
Just ribbing ya I did not have one till the wife insisted that we get one because of mini minnow. I really enjoy it BTW with all the rain my beans quit I hope they bare again. Last year we got 36 bushel of 1/2 runners and a truck load of corn and potatoes.