Best lures for surf fishing at St. Simons Island?

BCAPES

I normally just use live or cut bait in the surf but this year, would like to try some lures for a little more casting action. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Off the top of my head, I'm thinking a single hook gold spoon with a piece of cut bait or shrimp on it.
Might have to put an egg sinker in front of it to get it out there and keep it down.
Very versatile retrieve options and you can just put it down and let it sit like a carolina rig if you have something else to do real quick.

1eyefishing

I like to make diagonal chops through the body of a pinfish or mullet and then cut the bottom apart so it looks like frog legs. Hook in the bony tough part so it is symmetrical with the 'legs' dangling back.

1eyefishing

I don't fish the Georgia coast but use this in the fla panhandle sometimes. But i rarely surf fish...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A pearl 4" Gulp Swimming Mullet on a 1/4-1/2 oz jighead is always good in most situations. Better in the creeks and inlets, but I've caught fish in the surf with it too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

BCAPES

Well thanks everyone. We had a great trip. The highlight was grabbing this big one by the tail and dragging it in for the lucky guy who reeled him in. I did catch whiting speckled trout croaker, skates, some small sharks on fish bites.

Attachments

• IMG_20240528_150744684_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240528_150744684_HDR.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

seachaser

Make me think about the times I would say yes let’s go take the boat out to a wreck and jig up Amberjacks. Bring on the snook from the beach and stay away you sweet flipper who have taken snook off my line.

longrangedog

We liked to take a small cast net and a 5 gal. bucket. Usually just a few throws would produce enough pinfish to keep us in bait for a good while.

Al White

I've caught flouder, reds, and trout on a regular old rattle trap surf fishing. Try it sometime.

Latest posts