Best Milo/Sorghum Variety for food plot/mix...

davel

What would be the best variety of milo/sorghum for a deer food plot or one I can add to a custom mix? What would be the best planting time for East/Central GA?
Thank you!

davel

Might as well ask this here...I have 2 acres I'm going to plant a spring/summer mix. I've tried before but no luck due to bad rain timing and the deer eating it as soon as it came up. I'm assuming I will need to put a a temporary electric fence to keep them out until it is established. Tried milorganite and it didn't work. Am I correct or any other suggestions?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Might as well ask this here...I have 2 acres I'm going to plant a spring/summer mix. I've tried before but no luck due to bad rain timing and the deer eating it as soon as it came up. I'm assuming I will need to put a a temporary electric fence to keep them out until it is established. Tried milorganite and it didn't work. Am I correct or any other suggestions?
Deer for the most part don’t eat my sorghum til the heads seed out. Millet seems to make it. I just plant millet now for doves here. We ain’t got many doves to speak of here.

davel

Yeah I know I would be good planting just straight sorghum but the sunflowers, soybeans, cowpeas, and buckwheat get hammered as soon as they sprout.

Ihunt

Yeah I know I would be good planting just straight sorghum but the sunflowers, soybeans, cowpeas, and buckwheat get hammered as soon as they sprout.
No way to really stop it.
You can plant it thicker. It will hep a little but 2 acres isn’t that much when there’s a bunch of deer in it every night

sportsman94

Same thing for me. I’ve given up on planting deer attractive crops in the summer on 3 acres. Sorghum, corn, millet, etc will be all I waste money on anymore. I tried sun hemp last year and it was mowed down with the rest of everything else.

What are your goals? If it’s just attraction for hunting season then I would guess you’d be better off planting your mix a couple weeks before hunting season and not go through the hassle of the fence. I assume summer nutrition isn’t the reason if you’re planning to fence it off to let it grow.

davel

Summer nutrition is the goal. I was only going to fence it for a short time to get it established enough so that it could handle browsing better. The fence won't be cheap so I'm looking at milorganite.
Same thing for me. I’ve given up on planting deer attractive crops in the summer on 3 acres. Sorghum, corn, millet, etc will be all I waste money on anymore. I tried sun hemp last year and it was mowed down with the rest of everything else.

What are your goals? If it’s just attraction for hunting season then I would guess you’d be better off planting your mix a couple weeks before hunting season and not go through the hassle of the fence. I assume summer nutrition isn’t the reason if you’re planning to fence it off to let it groto fence it for a short time to get it growing so when they do start browsing it will handle it better

specialk

Deer for the most part don’t eat my sorghum til the heads seed out. Millet seems to make it. I just plant millet now for doves here. We ain’t got many doves to speak of here.
same here, but when its right they hit it every day....

sportsman94

Summer nutrition is the goal. I was only going to fence it for a short time to get it established enough so that it could handle browsing better. The fence won't be cheap so I'm looking at milorganite.

I could be really wrong cause I’ve never gotten it to the established phase, but I imagine 2 acres of anything attractive will be wiped out so fast it won’t provide much nutrition. I think clover or another perennial would be the best browse proof nutrition to get them through.

If you decide to pursue I hope I’m wrong and hope it works out for you. Either way, keep us posted

davel

I could be really wrong cause I’ve never gotten it to the established phase, but I imagine 2 acres of anything attractive will be wiped out so fast it won’t provide much nutrition. I think clover or another perennial would be the best browse proof nutrition to get them through.

If you decide to pursue I hope I’m wrong and hope it works out for you. Either way, keep us posted
I agree with you. I'm worried it will be wiped out too. I've been considering making it a perennial clover plot like the 1 acre plot I have. It gets hit hard but remains. I just wanted to plant something beneficial for them until I plant clover in the fall.

Ihunt

Clover would be the easiest but alfalfa would work better. But….its expensive. You need the ph spot on and the soil nutrients spot on and in place before you plant it.

davel

Clover would be the easiest but alfalfa would work better. But….its expensive. You need the ph spot on and the soil nutrients spot on and in place before you plant it.
Would love alfalfa but my soil needs a lot of amending to get to that point.

davel

Will a mix of some annual clovers hold up to heavy browsing until I can plant perennial in the fall?