Best yard dog

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Everyone has a favorite breed for this or that purpose. Personally, I believe it depends on the individual dog itself, and possibly the individual that belongs to it. :bounce:

With that being said, growing up we had a cocker poo when we were kids, smartest, most protective, yet easiest going Family dog I've ever seen. She went blind and most people couldn't even tell if we didn't mention it. Still wandered around the yard and house as if she could see.

Timbo85

I have 3 , a blue heeler a blue pit and a bmc, the heeler and pit keep all the other dogs and critters run off and will keep visitors in the truck till I get outside, the bmc will catch anything that makes it past the first 2

blakely

Feist. Got one from someone on here several years ago. He's the best dog I've ever had. Barks when someone pulls up but is friendly. When it comes to other animals, he's protective of the wife and boys but he's very protective of me. He'll kill any varmint that comes into the yard, from chipmunks to cats and coons. He's getting old now so if I get another dog, I hope it'll be half the dog he is.

Turpentine

Ideal scenario would be to have 2 acres around the house fenced 6 ft high 1 ft deep. With a male blood hound and male German Shepard. Raised together since birth.

If only one dog.
Golden retrievers are great for family but will welcome the mail man in while your not home.
Labs are decent dogs, non intimidating in my opinion.
Pitbulls look intimidating but are unpredictable. I can not stand this breed.
American bulldogs are dumber then a bag of rocks. But would kill any porkipine that came into the yard.
Hounds are going to follow there nose. Do not take it personally.
Most loyal, loving, and intelligent dog I ever met was a rescued female lab/chow mix.
I vote female German Shepard.
I have heard good things about king Shepard's.
I hope this helps.