Black Coyote or dog?

onedude

I saw a solid black one with two regular ones a long time ago.
The black one came up out of a ditch into the dirt road. I thought that looks like a coyote, but I had never saw a black one or heard of it. About 20 seconds later the two other ones came out in the dirt road. They all ran off together. This was in Carroll County.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Black "coyotes" are becoming more and more common all the time. I've seen probably a dozen in the last few years. Along with red ones, blonde ones, and gray ones.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I see and get pics of them pretty often on my place in SC. Not nearly as many black ones up here in the mountains.

black yote.jpg

Anthony61

BANNED
Except for the one black one, most of them look like this around here:

and this too ... (stiff fawn in mouth)

Buckman18

Black "coyotes" are becoming more and more common all the time. I've seen probably a dozen in the last few years. Along with red ones, blonde ones, and gray ones.

Here are a couple I pulled down on in Towns County way up high near the NC line. Red and a mix... the 2nd one was an hour behind the first on the exact same trail. It stopped when it saw its fallen comrade and it also got 180 gr ballistic Silvertip.
FB_IMG_1575499579102.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Here are a couple I pulled down on in Towns County way up high near the NC line. Red and a mix... the 2nd one was an hour behind the first on the exact same trail. It stopped when it saw its fallen comrade and it also got 180 gr ballistic Silvertip.
View attachment 995260
Those big long-legged red and black ones like the one on the right are really common around here.

furtaker

We used to see and/or kill black ones fairly regularly on our farm but we haven't seen one in several years now. They almost always have a white chest. I've never caught a black one in a foothold but I've always wanted to.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Are the black ones crossed with dogs?
Read Nic's post. All eastern coyotes are hybrids of coyote, wolf, and sometimes a little dog DNA. They are a very different animal from the western coyotes. Many tested are 25%-30% wolf DNA.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I HOPE THAT SOME OF YOU WILL GO BACK AND READ THIS LINK BELOW FROM A PREVIOUS THREAD ABOUT A CERTAIN HUGE BLACK COYOTE THAT I CAUGHT IN MY HOG TRAP BACK IN 2012 AND THANKFULLY, NICODEMIS GAVE ME A GREAT LESSON ABOUT MR. WILLIAM BARTRAM AND HIS EXPLORATIONS FROM WAY UP IN THE MID-WEST RIGHT THROUGH GEORGIA AND ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE WESTERN GULF COAST AREA OF FLORIDA.

THE AWESOME PART IS THAT I NEVER KNEW ABOUT THESE FACTS. HOWEVER MY PROPERTY IS ONLY ABOUT 1-2 MILES FROM THE ORIGINAL WILLIAM BARTRAM EXPLORATION TRAIL AS IT TRAVELED THROUGH LINCOLN COUNTY. THERE IS A ROAD-SIDE PLAQUE ABOUT MR. WILLIAM BARTRAM THAT IS ERECTED IN LINCOLN COUNTY THAT I PASS BY VERY FREQUENTLY.

CLICK ON THIS LINK FOR SOME GREAT INFORMATION.

http://forum.gon.com/threads/black-coyote.948814/#post-11838108

THE LINK TO MY ORIGINAL STORY AND PHOTOS ETC ARE ALSO INCLUDED IN THIS LINK THAT I POSTED ABOVE.

I ACTUALLY UPDATED IT TONIGHT WITH INFORMATION REGARDING PHOTO-BUCKET AND THEIR $300 PER YEAR PHOTO HOSTING HOSTAGE CHARGE SITUATION WITH POSTERS ETC. HOPEFULLY, THEY DON'T EXIST ANYMORE ONLINE. I DO STILL HAVE ALL OF MY ORIGINAL PHOTOS OF THIS FIRST BLACK COYOTE THAT I GOT TRAIL CAMERA PHOTOS AS IT WENT INTO THE HOG TRAP AND ALSO MY REGULAR 35 MM CAMERA PHOTOS THAT I TOOK BACK THEN AS WELL.

THIS ENTIRE DEAL WITH THESE BLACK COYOTES HAS BEEN VERY EDUCATIONAL FOR ME. LIKE I MENTIONED IN MY UPDATE THAT I MADE EARLIER TONIGHT ON MY ORIGINAL 2012 STORY, EVERY ONE OF THESE BLACK COYOTES HAD A WHITE THROAT PATCH TOO.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
As others have said, every black "coyote" I've ever seen has had the white spot on its chest.

280 Man

Banned
We used to see and/or kill black ones fairly regularly on our farm but we haven't seen one in several years now. They almost always have a white chest. I've never caught a black one in a foothold but I've always wanted to.

Here's a pic of a black one the moment that MB550 snapped on his foot!

20180705_154135_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20180705_154135_resized.jpg
    20180705_154135_resized.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 4