Coyote shooting at 100 yards or less

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
I need to shoot some coyotes on my property. Anyone use 22 Magnum for coyote? What cartridge are you using? I am thinking a 40g hollow point at under 100 yds would be OK.

I’m sure that’ll do it. I use a 22wmr on lots varmints. I shoot the 40g CCI game points. They are a JSP

Lilly001

I’ve shot a couple with a 17 HMR and had them run off. I’ve not tried the .22 mag.
Last two were with a 6.5 CM because that’s what I had with me. They didn’t run off.
I now use a .223 if I’m specifically going for them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'd use the 40 gr jacketed softpoints. Vmax might work too. They're tough. I've shot them with everything from 7.62x39 to a .30-06, and have never had one drop in its tracks.

sleepr71

Use a 40gr JSP. It will Kill them…However,unless you make a head/neck shot..I would expect them to run off;). They are TOUGH.! Honestly,if you can use a .223/5.56 or .243…I’d much rather have that,than a .22 Mag. Guess it depends on where you are & how much noise you can make.

Balrog

Use a 40gr JSP. It will Kill them…However,unless you make a head/neck shot..I would expect them to run off;). They are TOUGH.! Honestly,if you can use a .223/5.56 or .243…I’d much rather have that,than a .22 Mag. Guess it depends on where you are & how much noise you can make.
Maybe I will just use my 223. I want to kill them, I dont want them to run off hurt.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I've shot two on my place with a .22 WMR. Both ran off, but died. I found them once they started stinkin'.

I've shot three more since with a .350 Legend AR. They all died in their tracks.

All shots were less than 100 yards.

The .350 is my "yard gun" now.

I have a buddy who hunts them with a passion. He kills about 50 or so a year. His weapon of choice is .243 and 6.5 Grendel after having too many run off with a .223.

Just kill em.

Liberty

You shooting the Speer semi-spitzer?
I load and shoot a 70 grain soft point over 25 grains of IMR 4064 when I'm shooting my AR 15. That load kills them like Parvo

Buckhead

IMG_0438.jpegIMG_0326.jpegI use a .22 mag all the time. (.17 HMR also, although the .22 mag is better) I use it mostly for raccoons and armadillos, but when the Yotes start howling, I grab my Foxpro and attempt a set. I use 40 grain Gamepoints and go for chest cavity shots. They typically spin and run, sometimes a ways. Hunting in the timber at night called in, you can generally get a 50-75 yard shot. Since I started using a thermal, my success rate has spiked. Attached is a pic of one I took with my HMR and another pic of my current setup.