Blazer set up questions

TreeJacker

I noticed that some of you guys mentioned using Blazers in the past. What have you found to be the best set ups?

reylamb

Here is what I have found that works the best for setting up the blazers.

1. Dip the base of the vanes into acetone for about 10 seconds. While I realize Bohning claims and states not to pretreat the vanes on the box, they are wrong. It is hard to get them to stay on the shafts without first removing the oil on the base of the vanes.

2. Use Bohning Fletch-tite platinum.

3. Use as much helical as possible. Granted, with the size of the vanes you will not get much, but the more you can apply the better the results will be.

Larry Rooks

I reckon I need to try that cleaning as I have one heck of a time making them stick too. I use a wrap and most anything else sticks fast with AAE fast set gel, but not these bad boys. The vanes pull off real easy. I have some sitting now after using Fletch *** to see if they do better, and dang it, I am out of wraps and can't refletch till more get here

BowHuntNut

Blazers

I use a piece of scotch brite on my shafts to rough them up just a little. Next I clean them with soapy water. Standard helical works just fine you can use what you have. I tried several glues including platinum fletch tite and none of them worked, even after using acetone to clean them. The only glue I have found that holds them on is goat tuff. You will have to scrape them off with somthing, they stick so tight. Hope this helps. Oh buy the way shot two deer with them last year both with clean pass throughs and they stayed on the shaft.

P.S. They fly awsome....Tight groups out to fourty yards.

TreeJacker

Has anyone felt the need to try a 4 vane setup?

Thanks for the info. I had heard that they were a bugger to get them to stick.

JBird227

GONetwork Member
Are yall shootin mechanical or fixed blade broad heads? What kind of arrow rests are you using? Will they fit through a whisker biscuit?

reylamb

Just to answer a couple of questions:

4 vane setup------I have not seen the need so far.
Mech or fixed heads-------Yes, both and the vanes work equally as well with either type of head.

Rests-----I have a prong rest on my 3D rig and a Muzzy Zero Effect on the hunting rig. The vanes work with both. As far as the biscuit, they should work through the biscuit also.

Gadget

I just put some on my Goldtips, like em a lot.

JBird227

GONetwork Member
for just the prong rest that you have, are you shooting the vanes straight? or do you have some degree of offset?

reylamb

I have a small, 4 degree, offset, and they work well with no contact. That is also on Fatboy shafts, so there is a little more room on the arrow as they are larger than most carbon arrows.

Rob

I cleaned the shafts (new easton ACCs) with alcohol before fletching - I did not clean the vanes - and I have not had any problems with adhesion and I have been shooting them since February. I have fletched them straight with an offset and with a right helical. I have had good arrow flight both ways. I am currently shooting them through a bodoodle arrow rest and I like the way they fly. Due to the short length of the vane it was hard to get a lot of offset or helical - practice with a dry vane in your jig and you can determine what will work with your paticular arrow shaft size. Oh Yeah I also use the platinum series glue.