Boca Inlet

kingfish

Took a trip down to Deerfield Beach to help my middle Brother with clean up and repairs from the storms last month. Had a little time Friday morning to put his boat in the water and see if we could catch dinner. We were just before the new moon and the Blackfin Tuna have been pretty thick. When we broke Boca Inlet, the seas were perfect but the weather was questionable. The basic rule of thumb is to clear the inlet and just start trolling east. There are 3 natural reef lines out to 90 feet and then artificial reefs all over the place. We were trolling 3, 3" micro jetheads. One long center, one flat line and one with a planer on the down rigger about 60 ft down. Lots of scattered weed made things a challenge, but when we hit 485 ft, the long center took off and we put a small mahi in the box about 6 lbs. We put the lines out and when we hit the 600ft mark, the short flat line started smoking and this nice sail started jumping just as I got the rod out of the holder. Fought the fish, billed him on one side of the boat, took the pic and slid him out the other side for a nice catch and release. I grabbed his tail, and as soon as I did he took it away from me and splashed me in the face. The lightening was flashing pretty good so we agreed to just troll back to the inlet. Got to about 200 ft and the long center took off again. A nice little bonito hit the box and we converted him into strip baits later on after we got back. Put the lines back out and as we got to the 140 ft mark, the flat line took off and mahi started jumping all over the place. He was in the 12lb range and that covered dinner and a little for my brothers freezer. Got boat on the trailer right at 11:00 for a really nice out early, in early day. Funny thing is, we never sniffed anything close to a Blackfin !!! We were in an 18 ft Kenner with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke. It's a shame I live 5 1/2 hours from there.

Attachments

• IMG_3113.JPG
    IMG_3113.JPG
    305.7 KB · Views: 46

Big7

The Oracle
I love to fish down that way.

Had a running trip twice a year for 10 years out of Homestead. Awesome fishing for just about anything in season and one trip a year was for Dolphin as long as the weather permitted 30+ miles off shore.